We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our websites. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to recieve all cookies from Peterborough City Council and all participating council sites. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Search powered byGoogle

Information for pubs and other alcohol licensed premises

The Gambling Act 2005 came into force on 1 September 2007.

Existing gaming machine permits

If your gaming machine permit (section 34(5E))expires before 31 August 2007 you will need to apply to this licensing authority as normal. If your application is successful your new permit will be granted for three years. If your gaming machine permit (section 34(5E))expires on or after 1 September 2007, what you apply for will depend on how many gaming machines you wish to offer on your premises as described below.

New gaming machine permits under the Gambling Act 2005

If you offer up to two gaming machines you will have an automatic entitlement of up to two gaming machines (Category C or D), subject to a simple notification procedure. You will need to notify this authority prior to the expiry of your existing permit. If you offer more than two gaming machines you will need to apply to this authority for a licensed premises gaming machine permit.  You will need to apply at least two months before the date on which your existing Section 34 permit expires. For example, if your permit is due to expire on 2 September 2007 you should apply under the new Act no later than 2 July 2007.

Permit duration fees

Both the automatic entitlement and licensed premises gaming machine permit are of unlimited duration. However both will be subject to pay an annual fee. The only exception is if your circumstances change, you will need to re-apply. Fees are currently being calculated and will be on this section soon.

Gaming machine permits (section 34 (5E)) renewed before 31 August

From 1 September 2007, your existing permit will continue to have effect as if it were a licensed premises gaming machine permit issued under the new Act.. You are entitled to offer the same number of gaming machines that your current permit entitles you to and you will be required to abide by the Gambling Commission's code of practice for gaming machines in alcohol licensed premises.Details can be found on the Gambling Commission's website.

Gaming machines

The maximum stakes and prizes for each gaming machine category is available on the stake, prize and machine allowances page.

Fees, application forms and guidance

Details of fees, application forms and guidance on how to make an application is available on the application information page.

Permit information

Under the Gambling Act 2005 ("the Act") a Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit applies to premises with a Licensing Act 2003 on-premises alcohol licence that also serve alcohol without the requirement that it accompanies food. A pub, restaurant or hotel with a bar will be eligible to apply for this type of permit, but hotels and restaurants that serve alcohol only with food will not.
Section 282 of the Act provides an automatic entitlement to make available two gaming machines (of categories C or D) for use in alcohol licensed premises. To take advantage of this entitlement the Premise Licence Holder, under the Licensing Act 2003, must give notice to us of their intention to make gaming machines available for use, and must pay the prescribed fee. We may issue Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permits for any number of Category C or D machines in licensed premises. Where a Permit authorises the making available of a specified number of gaming machines in particular premises, this will effectively replace, and not be in addition to, any automatic entitlement to two machines as described above.
Permit holders are required to comply with the Gambling Commission gaming machine permits codes of practice. Compliance with these provisions is a condition of the Permit, and failure to do so could result in revocation of the Permit.

Contact details

For further information and guidance please contact our licensing team