In England and Wales, official records of births, deaths and
marriages began on 1 July 1837 and Civil Partnership records began
on 5 December 2005. Separate systems operate for Scotland and
Northern Ireland. The country is divided into registration
districts and each has its own register office where the original
registers are kept. They contain the records of births, marriages
and deaths from 1 July 1837. If you know the area where the event
took place you can apply directly to the Register Office for a
certified copy of the entry from the registers - there is a charge
for this service
Registers of births, deaths and marriages are either:
- Incomplete - Still being used by a Registrar
- Complete - transferred to the Superintendent Registrar for
How to apply
If you wish to obtain a copy certificate for a birth, marriage
or death that was registered in Peterborough you can
apply to us here at Peterborough Register Office by post,
telephone or in person. Telephone applications require a card
payment so please have these details to hand when telephoning
You will need to provide the following information:
- The type of certificate you require: birth, death, marriage or
- The name or names the certificate applies to
- The date of the event
- The place of the event
- Parents names for a birth certificate
- Any other relevant information that may help us to locate the
If applying by post you will also need to include the
- A stamped addressed envelope.
- Payment in the form of a cheque or postal order made payable to
'Peterborough City Council'.
If applying in person at the Register Office:
- Payment can be made by cash or credit/debit card (excluding
'Electron'). There is a £1 administration charge for
applications paid for by card.
- Our standard certificate service is 7 days after ordering
(providing there are no complications locating the
register entry as this may lead to a delay)..
- Certificates can be collected or they can be posted to
If applying by telephone:
- Payment can be made by credit/debit card (excluding 'Electron'
). There is a £1 administration charge for applications paid
for by card.
Our standard certificate service is 7 days after
ordering. We do offer a priority service as detailed
Priority Certificate Service
A priority certificate service is available for a fee of £30 in
addition to the cost of the certificate.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Certificates
ordered prior to 14.30 on these days can be collected from the
register office between 15.45 and 16.00 the same day or posted 1st
class that evening.
If the application is received after 14.30 it will be treated as
being received the following working day.
Tuesday and Thursday: Certificates ordered on
these days will be available for collection from the register
office between 15.45 and 16.00 the following
day or posted 1st class the following
Fees for Birth, Death or Marriage certificates:
- Certificates issued at the time of registration are
- Certificates issued after the time of registration are
£7.00 from an incomplete register or
£10.00 from a completed register.
The above same fees also apply to the issue of short birth
certificates - a short birth certificate is issued free of
charge at the time of the birth registration.
Fees for Civil Partnership certificates
Two types of certificate are available:
- Standard certificate (which includes partners'
- Extract certificate (which does not include partners'
The same fee applies for each type:
- Certificates applied for at the time of registration are
- Certificates applied for after the registration are £10.00
What if I do not know where the event
If you are not sure where the birth, death, marriage or civil
partnership occurred, you can order your certificates through
Register Office as they keep records of all events registered
in all registration districts in England and Wales.
We cannot issue a certificate until we have received payment.
Please note that most agencies including Passports, Jobs,
Saving Accounts etc., now request sight of a full birth
Death certificate application form
(206KB, 1 pages)
Marriage certificate application form
(202KB, 1 pages)