We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our websites. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to recieve all cookies from Peterborough City Council and all participating council sites. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Search powered byGoogle

Cost of short term residential care (respite care)

Information of costings for temporary care in care and nursing homes from April 2014.

What is short term residential care?

This is a temporary stay in a care home or nursing home which is often called respite care. Many people have respite care when they are briefly unable to cope at home or if they need to give their carer a break.

The charges that apply for short stays that last up to 8 weeks in a row. If a stay lasts longer than 8 weeks, the rules on how much you have to pay are different.

The rules on charges for longer stays are explained in the following pages:

Where can I have respite care?

Peterborough City Council can arrange short stays in either residential or nursing homes.
Care homes and Nursing homes are run by charitable organisations, or privately on a commercial basis.

What should I do if I think I need respite care?

Please contact Peterborough City Council’s Adult Social Care department.

A care co-ordinator or social worker will discuss your care needs with you and if they agree that you need short term residential care they will help you arrange this.

Alternatively, you may wish to make your own arrangements with a home of your choice. In this case, the payment of fees will be your responsibility.

How much does it cost?

If your respite care is arranged by the Council, and you have capital of £23,250 or more, you will pay the full cost of the respite stay.

If you have less than £23,250 capital, you will pay £73.29 a week if you are under Pension Credit qualifying age, and £99.26 a week if you are over this age. Part weeks are charged pro rata on a nightly basis.

If you are unable to afford the respite charge then you may apply to have a full financial assessment which will look at all your income and capital to decide how much you can afford to pay.

What counts as capital?

Capital includes things like bank/building society accounts, cash, stocks and shares, and other investments. Capital is taken into account if it is owned or jointly owned by you.

The home you live in does not count as capital, although a property which you own but do not live in would be counted as capital.

How do I pay?

If your respite care is arranged by Peterborough City Council, then you will receive a bill from us after your stay in the care home. You don’t pay the home directly.

Attendance Allowance & Disability Living Allowance (care component)

If your stay in respite care has been arranged by Peterborough City Council, then any Attendance Allowance or DLA (care component) that you receive may be affected. These benefits are stopped when you have been in respite for 28 days in a row, but start again when you return home.

If you get Attendance Allowance or DLA (care component) you must inform the Department for Work and Pensions of any respite stays you have.

Further information

Contact Adult Social Care on;

For social security benefits advice contact the Department for Work and Pensions on;

For a list of registered care homes, contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC) on;

For local care provider’s visit: www.peterboroughcaredirectory.org.uk

If you would like this information in another language or format, please contact us;

  • Adult Social Care
    Peterborough City Council
    Town Hall
    PE1 1HF
  • Telephone: (01733) 454446
  • Email: ask@peterborough.gov.uk