Planning and Environmental Protection Committee decides
planning applications for building development, including new
homes, commercial buildings, alterations and change of use, where
permission is not granted under delegated authority. There is also
an enforcement function, where breaches of planning control are
referred to the committee. A public speaking scheme is in
The aganda for each Committee meeting is available a
week before each meeting is due to take place together with a
list of those Members and officers expected to attend and
details of each matter to be considered.
A full Schedule
of Planning and Environmental Protection Committee
meetings can be accessed here.
Click to view meeting schedule
How do I arrange to speak at a meeting?
Approximately one week before the Committee meeting, we will
write to everyone who has commented on the planning proposals that
are due to be considered. The letter will advise the date, time and
venue of the meeting, plus information about the procedure to
Those wishing to speak are requested to contact the Governance
Officer, telephone (01733) 452268 by 12.00pm on the Friday
before the meeting.
Agendas and non-exempt reports are available for members of the
public to view prior to the meeting on the Council website, and
also at the Town Hall and Bayard Place receptions, Central,
Werrington, Orton, and Bretton Libraries. Copies are also available
at the meeting on the day.
Public Speaking Scheme
Each item to be considered on the agenda follows a set scheme of
presentation as follows:
- 1. Planning Officer to introduce application.
- 2. Chairman to invite Ward Councillors, Parish Council, Town
Council or Neighbourhood representatives to present their
- 3. Members’ questions to Ward Councillors, Parish Council, Town
Council or Neighbourhood representatives.
- 4. Chairman to invite objector(s) to present their case.
- 5. Members’ questions to objectors.
- 6. Chairman to invite applicants, agent or any supporters to
present their case.
- 7. Members’ questions to applicants, agent or any
- 8. Officers to comment, if necessary, on any matters raised
during stages 2 to 7 above.
- 9. Members to debate application and seek advice from Officers
- 10. Members to reach decision.
The total time for speeches from Ward
Councillors, Parish Council, Town Council or Neighbourhood
representatives shall not exceed ten minutes or such period as the
Chairman may allow with the consent of the Committee.
The total time for speeches in respect of each
of the following groups of speakers shall not exceed five minutes
or such period as the Chairman may allow with the consent of the
- 1. Objectors.
- 2. Applicant or agent or supporters.