We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our websites. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to recieve all cookies from Peterborough City Council and all participating council sites. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Search powered byGoogle

Events on the Highway – Street Parties

If you wish to hold a small non commercial event on the highway to bring the people of your local community together then you will need to request permission using the small events booking form.  

Examples of such events include street parties as part of a national event such as the Queen’s Jubilee, Big Lunch, Olympics and Paralympics, or any other local event within your community. Such events are normally of short duration i.e. less than one day, and take place in residential streets with low volumes of traffic.

This process is not appropriate for long term road closures for building, highway maintenance or utility works etc and events will not be considered on main roads.

Holding an Event

Should you wish to hold an event then you will need to complete a small event booking form, which asks a number questions that you will need to consider and answer.

You will be required to notify all residents or businesses which are in the area directly affected by the proposed closure and need to consider how the emergency services would access the area in the event of an emergency.

Eligibility Criteria

The applicant must be an individual representing their local community or charity.


There is no charge payable to the Authority for such an event.

Public liability insurance is not required.

Further Information

For further information please refer to the DCLG website

Application Evaluation Process

The following criteria must be considered when the application is being evaluated.

  • Is the event of a non-commercial nature?
  • Is the proposed event on the public highway?
  • What type of road is proposed for closure i.e. is it a cul-de-sac or a through road?
  • What volume of traffic typically uses the road at the time of the event?

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period please contact us and do not assume that your event can take place.

The document below appears in Adobe® Acrobat® (PDF) format. In order to view it you will need to have Acrobat Reader installed. (Those with visual impairments may wish to investigate Access Adobe, which provides tools and information to help make PDF files more accessible). 

Adobe Acrobat logo

PDF file icon  Small Events Booking Form
  (21KB, 3 pages)

Contact Details

Street Works Team
Growth & Regeneration Department
Peterborough City Council
Dodson House, Fengate

Email: streetworks@peterborough.gov.uk

Telephone: (01733) 747474 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday

Public Register

No public register exists

For enquiries concerning current and planned events please contact Peterborough City Council Street Works Team contact details as above.