Housing Benefit / Universal Credit

Housing Benefit/Universal Credit and Council Tax Support can help you to pay some or all of your rent and council tax costs if you are on a low income.

From 15 November 2017 you will not be able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit in this area unless you are in one of the eligible groups. Instead you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit.

Everyone liable for council tax will need to claim Council Tax Support from the council even if they are claiming Universal Credit for their housing costs.

Eligible people able to make a claim for Housing Benefit are those that:

  • are of state pension credit age (either your or your partner)
  • have 3 or more children and do not already have a live Universal Credit claim.
  • are in specified accommodation (usually where care and/or personal support is provided)

To check if you are of state pension age please check on the gov.uk website

To make a claim for Universal Credit for your housing costs please click on the button on the right which will take you through to gov.uk.

Please do not forget to also claim Council Tax Support for your council tax costs, if appropriate, using the button below.

If you are in one of the eligible groups and want to claim Housing Benefit and/or claim Council Tax Support please complete our online claim form by clicking onto the button on the right.

Please note: if you make a claim for Housing Benefit from 15 November 2017 when you are not in an eligible group your claim will be rejected when it is processed and you will be directed to claim Universal Credit. This may delay your application for Universal Credit and could delay the start of your claim.

Processing Request