To run a home boarding establishment you need a licence from us. The number of dogs that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence, along with other specific conditions. Home Dog Boarding Establishments are regulated by the Animal Boarding Estabishments Act 1963 licence holders must ensure they comply with legislation.
We will authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.
Application for an animal boarding (home) licence
Please download, complete and return the relevant application to us.
Fees are payable to Peterborough City Council:
- new animal boarding (home) licence £229
- renew or vary an animal boarding (home) licence £140
An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:
- keeping an animal boarding establishment or keeping a dog
- keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
- keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
- owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006. In Scotland an applicant must also not be disqualified from working with, using, driving or riding animals, providing services to animals that would involve taking possession of them, taking possession of an animal to carry out any of the activities listed or taking charge of animals for any other purpose.