Performing animals registration

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals you must be registered with your local authority. If you are based in Peterborough you must register with us. Performing animals are regulated by the A Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, circuses will require to be licensed due to their provision of regulated entertainment. However, it should be noted that that the circuses with perfoming animals will not be permitted, and therefore not licensed, on council owned land.

Application for performing animals registration

Apply to register for the exhibition or training of performing animals by clicking the button on the right.

Apply to change a performing animals registration by clicking the button on the right.

Applications must contain details about the animals and the performances they are to take part in:

  • each application can include any number of animals and any animals the person may hope to acquire
  • we must send a copy of every registration to the Secretary of State.


Currently there is no fee for registration in the Peterborough City Council area.

Qualifying criteria

We cannot refuse to register unless the person is disqualified from exhibiting or training a wild animal or disqualified from being registered by an order of the court.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your registration is accepted if you have not heard otherwise within 14 days. 


Please contact us in the first instance.

If a police officer or a local authority officer considers there has been an incident of cruelty to a performing animal they can apply to the Magistrates Court for a an order prohibiting the person from training or exhibiting a performing animal.