To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from us. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Application for pet shop licence
- Apply for a licence to keep a pet shop
- Apply to renew a pet shop licence
- Apply to change a pet shop licence
- Make an additional payment relating to a submitted application Please note, when making an additional payment please remember to quote the reference number given and ensure that you only pay the amount requested.
We will have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.
Conditions will be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
Fees will be payable and are payable to Peterborough City Council:
- first application £322
- renewal or variation £227
In some cases in may be necessary for us to arrange veterinary inspection, where this is the case we will invoice the applicant separately to recover the cost of the vet fees.
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop. Pet shops are regulated by the Pet Animals Act 1951 and licence holders must ensure they comply with legislation.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that we must process your registration before it can be approved. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us.
Failed application redress
Please contact us in the first instance. Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Magistrates court.
Licence holder redress
Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates Court.
If you have any issues regarding a pet shop for example complaints relating to; noise, pollution or possible non compliance with regulations, or if one trader wishes to complain about another, please contact us for help and advice.