Social Fund and Crisis Loans have ceased, which means the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will no longer be providing money to deal with emergency situations. Due to this change, the Peterborough Community Assistance Scheme (PCAS) was established to support people facing hardship and requiring urgent assistance.
The scheme aims to help you meet your basic needs as quickly as possible and will provide you with the support and advice to help you avoid similar problems in the future.
The scheme can help you in the following ways:
- by providing emergency food
- by providing emergency furniture or other basic needs such as clothing, toys or household items
- emergency white goods
- debt advice and helping you to manage your money better.
You should contact Citizens Advice Peterborough to apply for help through the PCAS.
- You must be over 16 years of age and on means tested benefits
- you must be facing hardship or dealing with an emergency situation
- you must live or be registered for council tax in the Peterborough council area.
If you are provided with help and support through PCAS, please be aware that we will share your information with other partner agencies in order to signpost you to the appropriate organisations for further long term support.
Citizens Advice Peterborough offer free, confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on the following:
You can also visit them in person at:
16-17 St Marks Street
Opening Times: Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm. Closed 12pm - 1pm lunchtime
Tel: 01733 293203
Advice and support on health
Age UK - advice and support for people aged over 55
Tel: 0300 666 9860
Cambridgeshire Independent Advocacy Service Support for people with mental health issues
Tel: 01733 530651
CPSL Mind (Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, South Lincolnshire Mind) offer goal focused support to those with mild to severe mental health issues. However, services can vary depending on the area so please check their website beforehand to find out what they can provide where you live.
Tel: 01733 362 990
Dial Peterborough - advice and support for people with physical disabilities
John Mansfield Centre
Peterborough PE1 4HX
Tel: 01733 265551
Emergency food is provided through a voucher system issued by a number of different agencies in the city. If you are a housing association tenant, you may contact them directly for assistance.
if a client wishes to visit a centre to receive food they must first receive a voucher from one of our registered agencies:
- Accent Nene
- British Red Cross
- Care Zone
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Cross Keys Homes
- Job Centre Plus
- PCC Housing Needs
- Peterborough Women's Aid
- Safer Peterborough Partnership
- Stanground Baptist Church - Tuesdays from 12.30pm - 2pm
- Dogsthorpe Methodist Church - Tuesdays and Fridays from 12.30pm - 2.30pm
- Paston, Honeyhill Community Centre - Wednesday 10.30am - 12.30pm
- Gunthorpe, Open Doors Centre - Thursday 12.30pm - 3pm
- Westgate Church - Saturdays 12.30pm - 2.30pm
- Bretton, Holy Spirit Church - Tuesdays 10am - 12pm
Tel: 01733 311156
Peterborough Council for Voluntary Service
32-34 Cromwell Road
Tel: 01733 342683
Peterborough TA Centre
Tel: 01733 201265
Royal British Legion (Welfare)
Tel: 0808 802 8080
1203 Bourges Boulevard
Tel: 01733 564540
441 Lincoln Road
Tel: 01733 312727
SSAFA (Peterborough Division)
185 Lincoln Road
Tel: 01733 314267
The Safer off the Streets campaign is a multi-agency partnership made up of voluntary, faith, community and public service organisations working together to help end street homelessness.