Peterborough Community Assistance Scheme (PCAS)

Social Fund and Crisis Loans have ceased, which means the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will no longer be providing money to deal with emergency situations. Due to this change, the Peterborough Community Assistance Scheme (PCAS) was established to support people facing hardship and requiring urgent assistance.

The scheme aims to help you meet your basic needs as quickly as possible and will provide you with the support and advice to help you avoid similar problems in the future.

We can help you in the following ways: 

  • by providing emergency food
  • by providing emergency furniture or other basic needs such as clothing, toys or household items
  • one off emergency heating or lighting payment
  • emergency white goods
  • debt advice and helping you to manage your money better.

Eligibility criteria

  • You must be over 16 years of age and on means tested benefits
  • you must be facing hardship or dealing with an emergency situation
  • you must live or be registered for council tax in the Peterborough council area.

If you are provided with help and support through PCAS, please be aware that we will share your information with other partner agencies in order to signpost you to the appropriate organisations for further long term support.

Money management, emergency payments or electricals

For advice around debt or money management, emergency energy payments or electrical appliances, please call the Citizens Advice Bureau on 0344 499 4120.

You can also visit them in person at:

16-17 St Marks Street
PE1 2TU. 

Food and furniture vouchers

Emergency food and furniture are provided through a voucher system issued by a number of different agencies in the city. If you are a housing association tenant, you may contact them directly for assistance.

You can also contact one of the agencies listed below, and an advisor will help you with your individual needs:

Other useful contacts

  • 49 Lincoln Road 01733 207299 - a drop-in centre for adults with a learning disability
  • Peterborough and Fenland Mind - advice and support for people with mental health issues
  • Dial Peterborough - advice and support for people with physical disabilities
  • Age UK - advice and support for people aged over 55
  • Care and Repair - an agency which assists disabled, aged and vulnerable people to access funding for work in their home
  • Department for Work and Pensions - for information on job seekers allowance and other benefits.
  • Further information is also available from the PCAS leaflet

PCAS - can we help?

Size: 100.43 KB File format: pdf

Processing Request