We launched the Ready to Switch scheme to save residents money on their energy bills. The idea is called 'collective switching' and uses the combined buying power of residents across our community to negotiate cheaper prices directly with energy companies. Rather than switching provider and reducing your energy bill as an individual, people register to switch and save as a big group all at the same time.
Save money on your energy bills
Those that tend to make the biggest savings are those households that rarely switch or have never switched. If you do switch you can still see if you can get a better deal or check you’re on a competitive rate.
At the end of each round an auction will be held with energy providers to find out which one will bid the best price to supply energy to all those households that have registered. Then you will be sent a personal offer and it’s up to you if you accept or not.
More information can be found on the Ready to Switch website.
Details of the latest auction
Open for Registrations - now
Auction – Tuesday 10 October 2017
- Offers – Friday 20 October 2017
- Closure – Tuesday 28 November 2017
Ready to Switch savings so far
- Monthly dual direct debit customer had the biggest average saving of £149
- Savings of up to £400 a year were reported
- Winning energy companies were Ovo Energy, Co-operative and Scottish Power
- 66% of those registered would make a saving if they switch
- 1,000 city households registered to save
- Winning energy companies were British Gas, Sainsbury's Energy and Scottish Power
- Average saving per saving household was £79 per year
- Overall more than 36,000 people took part
- There were two winners: British Gas and Scottish Power
- Over 7,000 people took part through Ready to Switch
- Winning energy companies were Green Star Energy (formerly Pioneer Energy), Scottish Power and British Gas
- Dual fuel monthly direct debit customers with paper billing has the biggest average saving of £129 per year
- More than 36,000 people took part
- Manual dial direct debit paper billings customers enjoyed the biggest average saving of £169.00
- Winners were Ovo Energy, Green Star Energy, British Gas and Scottish Power
- 2,036 households registered
- Average saving across all categories of £221
- Auction winners were British Gas, E.ON, and Ovo Energy
- 1,900 households registered
- Average savings per household of £221
- Auction winners were E.ON and Ovo Energy