Report a planning or building regulations issue

Reporting a planning issue

If you believe that there has been a breach of planning control you should report it to our planning compliance team using our online form.

You will need to advise us of the following:

  • the precise location of the site or property to which the complaint relates, please include a postcode
  • the exact nature of your concern
  • if possible, the identity of the person or organisation responsible for the alleged breach
  • when the breach began.

In all cases you will be asked to give your name and address. Your details will be held in confidence and not disclosed, as stated in the Data Protection Act 1998. If you wish to remain anonymous you should submit your complaint through your local councillor or parish council

How we investigate planning complaints

Most breaches of the planning rules are brought to our attention by neighbours or as the planning compliance team monitors development under way. There is a procedure established for investigating such complaints. Our planning compliance strategy outlines our approach to Planning Enforcement, available below.

Planning compliance plan

Size: 1.14 MB File format: pdf

Reporting a contravention of building regulations

All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations 2010. However, this does not mean that all work must be approved by the Council.

  • Tradespeople registered with a competent person scheme can self-certify that their work complies with the relevant building regulations
  • Private building control bodies can also certify that work has been carried out in accordance with the building regulations

In both cases we will receive a notification, before reporting a suspected contravention to us please check for our online register to confirm that no notification has been received.

It is also worth remembering that there are some exceptions for when building regulations approval is required, please check our Do I need planning or building regulations page.

If you want to report a suspected contravention of building regulations to us please complete our contact form.

Dangerous structures

We have legal powers to investigate potentially dangerous structures and to ensure that they are made safe.

Typical examples would be:

  • walls, which are leaning over or unstable
  • roof tiles which are being blown off in high winds

We will investigate a report of a dangerous structure and agree that action is required in one of the following two ways:

  • if the building is so dangerous that we consider immediate action necessary, we will make it safe straight away. In many cases this will take the form of fencing-off the affected area to allow remedial work to be carried out later by the owner
  • where the building is considered dangerous but not immediately so, we will normally try to contact the owner and request that the work be made safe within a reasonable period of time. If the owner fails to do so, we can apply to a Magistrates' Court for an order allowing us to do so instead.

Note that in both cases we can only request the minimum amount of work necessary to make the building safe and will attempt to cover any costs we incur in doing so from the building owner.

Contact form

Building Control - Request

Does your request relate to a specific application? If so, please enter the application number.