Below is a summary of the main projects planned and underway around the city centre.
Lower Bridge Street
The purpose of works on Lower Bridge Street is to bring the standard of this area up to that of Bridge Street and Long Causeway, improving the environment for visitors from the south.
Works will include:
- New high quality paving, upgrading of the seating and lighting
- Repaving and improved lighting in the underpass
- Repaving as per Bridge Street and Long Causeway and coloured uplighting to trees.
- Raised crossing point for a clearer pedestrian / cyclist route to the underpass leading to The Lido, County Court and the Embankment.
- New railings to Bourges Boulevard road crossing and outside Magistrates Court.
- Increased cycle parking, and a new covered cycle parking shelter.
- A new lighting scheme with LED lights including the passageway by Rivergate.
Works will start in summer 2016 and complete in spring 2017.
The next phase of the works to improve the look and feel of Lower Bridge Street is set to start in January.
Work is programmed to start on Monday 9 January 2017 on the Rivergate gyratory, including refurbishing the traffic signals adjacent to the police station building and the Old Customs House. Improvements will also be made to the paving between East Station Road and the Old Customs House across the Town Bridge.
This work is scheduled to last for 13 weeks and one lane of traffic will be closed in both directions either side of the crossing between 9.30am and 3.30pm, Monday to Friday. All lanes will be open at peak times.