Families involved in crime

On this page:

Help is available to those children and/or families at risk of or involved in crime or anti-social behaviour in Peterborough to prevent further episodes occurring.

Anti social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour covers a wide range of unacceptable activity that causes harm to an individual, to their community or to their environment.

Examples of anti-social behaviour include:

  • drunken or threatening behaviour
  • street drinking
  • vandalism and graffiti
  • playing loud music at night

Anti-social behaviour is a serious problem affecting the quality of life of individuals, families and communities.

Anti-social behaviour and ASBOs

Anti-social behaviour may be prosecuted in a court of law, but some anti-social behaviour is dealt with by an  Anti Social Behaviour Order (ASBO).  ASBOs are given by a civil rather than a criminal court, but they are still issued by the police and/or local authority and can be given to anyone over the age of 10 if they behave anti socially. 

Getting an ASBO means that individuals are not allowed to do certain things, such as:

  • going to a particular place, eg your local town centre
  • spending time with people who are known as trouble-makers
  • drinking in the street

An ASBO will last for at least 2 years. It could be reviewed if behaviour improves.

Young offenders can be fined up to £250 (if aged 10 to 14) or up to £1,000 (if aged 15 to 17). The fine may have to be paid by your parents if you’re under 16. You might also get a community sentence or, if you’re over 12, a detention and training order (DTO) for up to 24 months.

Parental responsibility  

You can be held responsible if your child repeatedly gets into trouble or if you don’t take reasonable steps to control their behaviour. You could be:

  • asked to attend a parenting programme
  • asked to sign a Parenting Contract
  • given a Parenting Order by a court

Each of these support you in stopping your child from getting in trouble again.

More information is available on Gov.uk.

How to access support

Support is available via the Peterborough Prevention and Enforcement Service (PES). This is based at the City Council but is a partnership between organisations such as the Police and the Fire Service as well as council departments. 

Back to top

Young person at risk of offending or committing offences

Youth Offending Service

The principal aim of the team is to work towards preventing young people aged 10-17 offending. By using an evidence led approach, improving outcomes for victims and working in partnership, the team provides ta range of statutory services to young offenders, their families, courts, victims of crime  and the people of Peterborough.

How to access support

The Liaison and Diversion Service supports children and young people who come into contact with the Youth Justice service. They will listen and try to find support services to help.

Young person involved in gang activity

Gangs often leave signs of their presence and your child might adopt some of these signs; either as a member or as an associate of a gang. Signs may include:

  • Specific dress style
  • Poor behaviour
  • Talking differently – new slang or language with an aggressive tone
  • Poor school results or skipping school
  • Carrying weapons
  • Unexplained injuries or sums of money/possessions
  • Staying out unusually late
  • Graffiti style tags on possessions
  • Interest in music which glorifies weapons/gang culture

There are things you can do to help stop your child from being involved in gangs.  

  • Talk to your child and listen to what they have to say, their worries, concerns and hopes for the future
  • Encourage them to get involved in activities they enjoy – sport, music, dance, whatever they are into
  • Know your child’s friends and their families
  • Always know where your child is and who they are with
  • Speak to them about the serious consequences that occur from violent or illegal behaviour
  • Be aware of what your child is doing on the internet and social media
  • Help them to think about their future job and career plans. Ask for advice at school

People who can help

Advice and information can be found on the following organisations' websites:

Information for young people who may be involved in gang activity can be found on Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust's web pages 'A Guide to Rough Times'.

Back to top

Young person with racist, extremist or radical views

If you are concerned that a child, young person and/or their parents may hold extremist views or are at risk of being radicalised you have a duty to ensure that they receive support to protect them from being drawn into terrorism. Prevent is one strand of the government’s counterterrorism strategy focussed on vulnerability and safeguarding. Information on Prevent can be found on www.gov.uk.

Signs of extremism and radicalisation

If you are worried about someone being drawn into extremism or becoming radicalised, signs to look for include:

  • being drawn into strong principles and ideologies held by others, as a means to control
  • social network involvement in extremism
  • being at a transitional time in life
  • having a need for identity, meaning and belonging
  • being influenced or controlled by groups
  • feelings of grievance and injustice
  • feeling under threat
  • displaying mental health concerns
  • a desire for status
  • a desire for excitement or adventure
  • a need to dominate and control others. 

How to access support

If you are concerned about anyone who might be at risk of becoming radicalised, you should speak to the police on 101. In an emergency, or to report a suspected terrorist incident, call the police on 999.

Find out more about safeguarding people who may be susceptible to radicalisation on the Let's talk about it website.

Information can also be found on the Peterborough Safeguarding Children Board website.

Back to top

Children affected by parental imprisonment

It is estimated that 200,000 children a year in England and Wales are affected by parental imprisonment. Children with a parent in prison are more likely to experience mental health problems, less likely to do well at school and may become involved in offending. Children with a parent in prison feel isolated and ashamed - unable to talk about their situation because they are scared of being bullied and judged.

Useful websites:

Processing Request