Choosing where to live

On this page

If you are no longer able to remain living independently at home you may need to consider moving into sheltered housing, extra care housing or supported living for people with disabilities.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing, also known as retirement housing, means having your own flat or bungalow in a block, or on a small estate, where all the other residents are older people (usually over 55). With a few exceptions, all developments (also known as 'schemes') provide independent, self-contained homes with their own front doors.

Properties in most schemes are designed to make life a little easier for older people - with features like raised electric sockets, lowered worktops, walk-in showers, and so on. They will usually be designed to accommodate wheelchair users and are usually linked to an emergency alarm service (sometimes called 'community alarm service') to call for help if needed. 

Many schemes also have their own manager or warden, either living on-site or nearby, whose job is to manage the scheme and help arrange any services residents need. Managed schemes will also usually have some shared or communal facilities such as a lounge for residents to meet, a laundry, a guest flat and a garden. 

There are many different types of scheme, both to rent or to buy. They usually contain between 15 and 40 properties, and range in size from studio flats or bedsits, through to 2 and 3 bedroom properties. For more information, please visit the Housing Care website.

Back to top

Extra care housing

Extra care housing is social or private housing that has been designed to suit people with long-term conditions or disabilities that make living in their own home difficult, but who don't want to move into a residential care home.

Most residents are older people, although extra care is available for people over 55 years of age. It is usually seen as a long-term housing solution and some schemes offer specialist dementia accommodation. It gives people the opportunity to live independently in a home of their own, but with other services on hand if they need them. These extra facilities vary depending on the site, but can include:

  • 24-hour access to emergency support 
  • an on-site care team 
  • social activities 
  • a restaurant or some kind of meal provision 
  • laundry facilities.

For details of extra care housing in Peterborough please visit the Housing Care website.  

Back to top

Supported living

Supported living is a scheme that allows people with learning disabilities to be integrated in society which offers the same right, control and choices of ordinary living that most people enjoy. It provides an alternative to traditional care and allows people to be supported in the community as citizens and members of the society.

The main principles of supported living are that people with learning disabilities own or rent their home and have control over the support they get, who they live with (if anyone) and how they live their lives.

Supported living assumes that all people with learning disabilities, regardless of the level or type of disability, are able to make choices about how to live their lives even if the person does not make choices in conventional ways.

Back to top

Care homes

You may consider moving into a care home. There are many care homes in and around Peterborough where a number of people live together in their own room, looked after by care staff, 24 hours a day.

Care homes are independently run by a variety of private and not-for-profit organisations. The types of homes and care provided are:

  • Residential home – if you need help with everyday tasks, there are staff on hand to help you get washed, dressed etc
  • Nursing home – if you need more frequent or specialist nursing care, a nursing home has trained nursing staff available 24 hours a day
  • In certain circumstances, short term places are also available for people recovering from a hospital stay or illness, or to give the person who cares for them a break from their caring responsibilities.

If we agree that a care home is the best place for you to live, we can then advise you on the choice of homes and also tell you whether they have any rooms available.

We can help you find one in an area near to your own home or close to family and friends. We will encourage you, or your relatives or carer, to visit the home, to see if you would be happy there and to ask any questions. Visit our money matters section to view details of the cost of care in a care home.

You can find details of all local care homes in the Peterborough Care and Support Directory. 

If you are considering a care home, please check the latest reports from the Care Quality Commission.

Back to top

Moving to or from another area

If you have needs that meet the new national eligibility criteria, you will be able to get some help from your local council wherever you live in England.

Although the level of need councils use to decide whether or not they can help will be same across the country, the help you receive might be different in different areas. For example, one council might provide a buddying service to help prevent people from feeling lonely, while another might help people to stop feeling lonely by introducing them to community events in their area, so your support package may change.

Moving in to Peterborough

If you currently have a care and support package and are moving to Peterborough, you must notify your current local council of your intention to move out of their district. They will then contact us here in Peterborough to advise of the situation. We will then contact you to discuss your needs and to confirm that you are moving into our local authority area.  

If you are moving into the Peterborough area, you wish to visit the following pages:

  • Money matters - breakdown of care and support costs and money management advice
  • Care Directory - this gives a picture of services available within the Peterborough area
  • Looking after someone - providing information for carers, if are you moving to be near someone who will become your carer.

Moving out of Peterborough

If you are thinking of moving out of the Peterborough area you will need to inform your social worker, to discuss the next steps and help contact your new council to advise them of your change in circumstances and contact information.