This may be at the Westcombe Base in the Work Skills Development team, at one of the mini enterprises that Westcombe help to run, or at a business in Peterborough. Wherever the placement is, the job coach will support the person with any interviews, initial visit to the placement, sorting out the task list, and learning to use the bus to get to and from work. The job coach will provide support and monitor the placement to ensure the individual is able to develop in the job.
Currently the mini enterprises that we support people to run are:
- Car washing business
- Catering business
- Gardening enterprises
- Kindling business
Work placements might be unpaid, these are especially for people who want to start to learn about work. We also try to find paid placements for people whenever possible.
Peterborough’s Day Opportunities, now managed by City College Peterborough, also provides day and employment support to adults under 65 with a disability
Types of disability we provide for
Moderate learning difficulties; Severe learning difficulties; Specific learning difficulties; Autistic Spectrum conditions; Hearing impairment; Visual impairment; Social, Mental and Emotional health; Challenging behaviour; Speech, language and communication needs; Physical disabilities.
- Eligibility criteria or profession referral
- Personal budget or private funds
- Wheelchair accessible
- Accessible toilets
- Secure environment
- Physical adaptations
- Accessible parking
All staff are DBS enhanced checked and have received a range of mandatory training, including; safeguarding, health and safety, risk assessment, first aid, NVQ health and social care to a level 3.
- Unit 1 and 2 Westcombe Square
- Telephone: 01733 746343
Help to find work
We provide support to individuals with disabilities and long term health conditions to secure sustainable paid employment of 16 hours or more per week, through the Work Choice Programme.
This programme is a Department for Work and Pensions supported employment programme part funded by the European Social Fund. Referrals are received through Job Centre Plus and is free of charge. We take a holistic approach to supporting the customer journey.
An example of some of the support we provide:
- completing an “entitled to” calculation (benefit advice)
- CV review and development
- skills development, for example health and safety, independent travel, interview and communication skills, customer service and IT skills
- one to one support with job searching and applications
- job matching to suit your skill set
- job coaching to be able to support you in the work environment
- arranging volunteering and work experience to build confidence and work skills
- attend interviews and offering support
- job carving
- employer disability awareness training
- access to work guidance
- signposting to other organisations if further support is required.
If you feel that this scheme would be suitable for you or someone you know, please contact the Job Centre on 0345 268 8489 to apply. Alternatively, please call 01733 864654 for more information.