Shopping and errands
Some people may find it difficult to get out and about due to disability, frailty or illness. If you feel you have this difficulty, you might wish to consider some of the following options:
- you could ask friends or relatives for help
- try shopping online and have your groceries delivered to your home
- Peterborough Care Directory - there are organisations that can help with shopping which can be found in our Care Directory
- Radar National Key Scheme - offers disabled people independent access and use to over 7,000 locked public toilets around the country
- Shopmobility is available at Queensgate shopping centre.
Getting around the city
For older people or those with a disability, there are a number of options that might help you get out and about:
- look on the Peterborough Care Directory
- apply for concessionary bus passes from Travelchoice
- apply for a senior or disabled persons railcard for reduced rates train travel through Travelchoice
- if you live in a rural area of Peterborough you may use the Community Link bus service
- contact the Royal Voluntary Service Volunteer Driver scheme who have volunteers who help you stay independent and involved with your community
- see if you are eligible to apply for the Motability Scheme which can provide disabled people with safe, reliable and affordable cars, powered wheelchairs or scooters.
There is legislation that requires all new buildings, including dwellings, together with alterations and extensions to have disabled access.
We operate a Blue Badge Scheme which allows people with disabilities to park in designated parking zones. For more information or to apply, please visit our Parking webpage.
Peterborough Council for Voluntary Services
Peterborough Council for Voluntary Services (PCVS) have a membership directory which provides contact details and information for over 500 voluntary and community groups, registered charities and non-profit making organisations.
The search functions of this directory are easy to use, allowing you to search by an area of the city, type of service you require or find details about a specific group.
- Peterborough Care Directory - our directory holds information on a number of organisations that hold activity groups
- Inspire Peterborough - is an arm of Disability Peterborough. Inspire Peterborough promotes sport and leisure activities, as well as promoting health and wellbeing and support for disabled people, their family and carers
- Vivacity - offer activities for people with disabilities at their many services in Peterborough including libraries, Longthorpe Tower, Museum, Flag Fen, sports facilities and the Key Theatre.
- Peterborough U3A (University of the Third Age) has lots of information on social, cultural and educational activities