Money management

The council is closing the cash office in 2018

Are you visiting the Council’s Cash Office?  You don’t have to queue if you’re paying:

  • Council Tax
  • Business Rates
  • Parking Fines
  • Brown Bin Renewal

Many of the services carried out by the Cash Office are already available online, such as paying for your Council Tax, Business Rates, Brown Bin Renewals and Fines. The rest of our services will be made available through the council website in the early part of 2018.

You can find more details in thepdf leaflet in the below titled Questions and answers - Peterborough City Council closing it's cash office

Someone else managing your money

If you are having difficulty managing your own money, you can choose to have someone else do this for you, such as a friend or relative. There are a number of ways to achieve this, including:

  • providing authority to your bank or building society for someone to act on your behalf, known as a 'third party mandate'
  • drawing up a legal document known as an Ordinary Power of Attorney – to allow someone to manage your finances by acting on your behalf
  • drawing up a legal document known as a Lasting Power of Attorney – to allow someone to manage your finances by acting on your behalf, even if you lose mental capacity in the future
  • choosing someone to act as an appointee for you, who can receive and manage your social security benefits. In some circumstances, the council can do this for you.

Managing someone else's money

If you care for someone and they lose their mental capacity to manage their own finances, you can manage these on their behalf in one of three ways:

Independent financial advice

As you get older, it’s important to think about planning for your later life, including any care and support that you may need. Independent financial advice can help you to:

  • make balanced and reasoned decisions
  • ensure you get the best from your money and investments that will help you to meet any long term care costs
  • provide some certainty and security. 

It can be difficult making life changing decisions by yourself, so an independent financial adviser can provide specialist knowledge tailored to your own circumstances to help and support you.  

You can find independent financial advice yourself by visiting the Money Advice Service website or you may search for independent financial advisers using our Care Directory.