A personal assistant, or PA, is someone who is employed by someone who has care or support needs and who is in receipt of a personal budget. As a personal assistant, you will undertake a wide range of care and support tasks, such as:
- personal care, washing and bathing
- cooking and preparing food
- assisting with shopping, meeting people, socialising and leisure activities
- getting into and out of bed and chairs
- taking medication
- getting to and using the toilet
- assisting with banking, paying bills, collecting pensions or benefits.
If you would like more information regarding personal assistants or about registering, please email email@example.com.
Register as a personal assistant
If you want to work in social care, you can ask to be registered on the local Personal Assistants (PA) Register. The Peterborough Care Directory lists PAs in Peterborough, enabling them to advertise their skills and availability to potential employers who have social care support needs. You will be helping to empower them to live as independently as possible.
To join the register, you are required to download and complete the following items:
- an application pack and monitoring form
- sign a Code of Conduct
- agree to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- undertake e-learning training modules following a successful application.
Please return the above completed forms to:
- FAO: Faith Boys
Peterborough Council for Voluntary Service
32-34 Cromwell Road
Benefits of being a personal assistant
- Access to training
- potential employers can view your professional profile at any time
- employers have the assurance you have met council standards
- access to monthly support groups for personal assistants in Peterborough.