Skip to main content

Useful links and organisations

Care Leaver Support

Become’s mission is to provide help, support, and advice to children in care and young care leavers so that they can take control of their lives and unleash their potential.

Telephone: 0800 023 2033
Become website

Helping you trace your family abroad.

Phone: 01158 505942

Listening to, caring about, and empowering children and young people to get their voice heard.

Visit the website: National Youth Advocacy Service website (NYAS)

Phone: 0151 649 8700

The national regulator ensures local authorities are delivering the best possible outcomes for children in care and care leavers. You can view reports of how Peterborough Council performs when delivering services for looked after children and care leavers.

View the Peterborough Ofsted reports.

Support and advice for refugees and people seeking asylum in the UK

Visit the Refugee Council website

Phone: 0808 196 7272

The Capstone Care Leavers Trust offers small grants to help Care Leavers with the following financial hardships. -Further Education courses -Higher Education courses -Training courses -Laptop -Travel costs to the place of study/training -Driving lessons - subject to meeting criteria -Practical Driving Test -Household goods – Sofa, chairs, cooker, fridge, freezer, washing machine bed, wardrobe, drawers.

Please note that they have application ‘windows’ where they open up applications and close when they have received enough. They will not replace anything that should be the responsibility of the Local Authority and will not give more than two grant awards to one person within 12 months.

To apply and read eligibility criteria please visit The Capstone Care Leavers Trust website.

The Care Leavers’ Association provides advice and information about leaving care and your rights and entitlements

Telephone: 0161 236 5665
Visit the Care Leavers Association website

The Children's Society Advocacy Service is a UK charity providing children's rights and socio-legal services. The Children's Society offers information, advocacy, legal representation, and advice to children aged 10 and over and young people up to the age of 21 through a network of advocates.

Telephone: 0808 901 9488 or 0115 900 3104

 Visit The Children's Society Advocacy Service website

Supports care leavers and care experienced individuals across the UK. They champion services, projects, and interventions with and for the care of experienced people. They empower and inspire others to effect social change and improve support, policy, practice, interventions.

Visit the The Rees Foundation website

The Spark Foundation provides grants for young people who are or were in care. They can apply for grants of up to £600 for ‘extras’, such as instruments, sports kits, potentially debts, and they will look at furniture applications if it can be proven that Setting Up Home funding has been exhausted

Visit The Spark Foundation website

Financial support

Buttle UK’s mission is the maintenance, education, and advancement in life of children and young people who through poverty and family circumstances are in need of, and will benefit significantly from Buttle UK’s support. They can offer financial grants and wrap-around support.

Visit the Buttle UK website

To see if you are eligible to receive any discounts from your Council Tax bill, have a look at the website for the district that you live in.

View the Peterborough City Council council tax discounts.

Diamond Hampers are an organisation committed to providing support to local people in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. They are aware of Care Leavers in the area and have pledged their support. They can provide you with free hampers of food and essential items in some circumstances, if you are moving into new accommodation, they can provide you with a Moving In Box with essentials and provide you with low-cost items at their stores in Huntingdon.

Visit the Diamond Hampers website

Information and financial support to help pay for university or college tuition.

Visit the Student finance website

The Spark Foundation provides grants for young people who are or were in care. They can apply for grants of up to £600 for ‘extras’, such as instruments, sports kits, potentially debts, and they will look at furniture applications if it can be proven that Setting Up Home funding has been exhausted

Visit The Spark Foundation website - grant forms

Benefit calculator to assess your financial circumstances and advise you of any different benefits you are entitled to claim and support on how to claim it.

Visit the Turn2Us website

General advice and support

Catch 22 works with young people who are in or leaving custody, involved in or on the fringes of crime, out of work, struggling at school, homeless, or facing young parenthood without the safety net of a supportive family. Catch 22 offers practical support services which are flexible, highly personalised, and often intensive.

Visit the Catch 22 website

From housing and health to learning and engagement, Centrepoint aims to help vulnerable young people move on from homelessness and build a future they can believe in.

Visit the Centrepoint website

Phone: 0800 5875158

The Citizens Advice Bureau helps people to resolve their legal, money, and other problems by providing free, independent, and confidential advice and influencing policymakers. Some branches can provide legal advice on immigration and asylum cases.

Tel: 0808 278 7850

See here for the Citizens Advice Bureau Peterborough website

Information from the Department of Education about your rights as a care leaver.

See more information here about: Leaving foster or local authority care - GOV.UK

Information on finding jobs and accessing benefits.

For more information visit the DWP website

Free legal advice in legal clinics hosted in different locations nationally and sometimes virtually. Clients usually have 30 minutes to one hour to explain an issue and you will receive basic advice on the next steps to take. Some clinics may not be able to offer advice immediately but will provide a letter or email containing a summary of advice

Find a legal advice clinic near you

National Debtline is a charity. They give free and independent debt advice over the phone and online.

Visit the National Debt Helpline website

Phone: 0808 808 4000

Offering advice about homelessness and the provision of emergency housing for care leavers

Visit the National Homelessness Advice Service website

Or Phone: 0300 330 0517

Charity offering housing support, advice, and information

Visit the Shelter website

Or Phone: 0808 800 444

Helping you with the widest range of debt solutions no matter what you're dealing with

Visit the Step Change website

Phone: 0800 138 1111

Free, independent, and confidential advice, assistance, and representation on a wide range of issues to young people under 21 years old in custody.

Telephone: 0808 801 0308

Visit The Howard League website

Health and Emotional Wellbeing support

ChildLine is a free national 24-hour telephone helpline for any child in trouble or danger. It is a confidential counselling service that offers information and help to children and young people

Telephone: 0800 1111
Visit the Childline website

Evolve Counselling will offer discounted therapy sessions for Care Leavers in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough on low incomes. If you are on Universal Credit it is discounted to just £5 a session. As your salary increases, the session costs do, for example, £12,000 salary, is £12 a session. £13,000 is £13. Please call for an initial assessment and let them know you are looking for low-income counselling.

Call the helpline nearest to your location.

Cambridge: 01223 233047
Peterborough: 01733 553166

Keep Your Head brings together reliable information on mental health and wellbeing for children, young people, adults, professionals, and schools across Cambridgeshire & Peterborough.

Visit the Keep Your Head website

Missing People is a free phone confidential service for anyone who has run away from home or care, or been forced to leave home.

Contact them via Telephone: 116 000

Or Visit the Missing People website

Offers information, support, and guidance on drugs and alcohol

Visit the Talk to Frank website

or contact them via phone: 0300 1236600

The Samaritans offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal. A free and confidential service, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Visit the Samaritans website
or contact them on freephone: 116 123

The Kite Trust supports the wellbeing and creativity of LGBTQ+ young people in Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, and surrounding areas through information, support, and groups. They build inclusive communities to tackle inequalities through consultancy, training, and education to all sectors.

Visit the The Kite Trust website

or phone: 01223 369508

Young Minds is committed to improving the emotional wellbeing and mental health of children and young people and empowering their parents and carers.

Visit the Young Minds website