Please note: To help manage the number of visitors to the city centre, businesses are being encouraged to stagger their opening hours so they open at 10.00am and close at 6.00pm.
For impartial, free of charge support for your business, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Making your business Covid-19 secure
Show your customers and staff your business is compliant using the government's checklist:
- We have carried out a Covid-19 risk assessment and shared the results with the people who work here
- We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with guidance
- We have taken all reasonable steps to help people work from home
- We have taken all reasonable steps to maintain a 2m distance in the workplace
- Where people cannot be 2m apart, we have done everything practical to manage transmission risk
This can be found on page 7 of the Working safely during Covid-19 in shops and branches guidance.
More advice on safety in the workplace
For workspace specific guidance from government, visit the business support hub on the Gov.uk website. There is specific advice for eight different types of workspaces including warehouses, retail, and restaurants and takeaways.
Ongoing support for city centre businesses
Businesses reopening in the city centre can use the closed Facebook group for city centre businesses to highlight challenges to the city council, Opportunity Peterborough and Peterborough Positive, discuss issues, access support, tackle problems together, and share best practice of changes you are making to your business in response to Covid-19 that others in the group could benefit from.
The group is being moderated by Peterborough City Council, the city's business improvement district team, Peterborough Positive, and economic development company, Opportunity Peterborough. Moderators will aim to respond to questions within 2 working days.
Businesses looking for additional support to make their premises safe should contact Trading Standards at Peterborough City Council by calling 01733 453512 or email email@example.com.
Reassure customers and get your business noticed
To encourage people back to the city centre, we want to help share what local businesses are doing to help visitors socially distance, and share good practice among local companies to keep staff safe.
This could be a vlog or picture of you in your store, with a message welcoming shoppers back to the city centre and your business.
Tag us on social media and use the #BeSmartStayApart hashtag or send us a photo with details of your business.
Peterborough Community Radio is also giving local businesses free airtime to help them keep customers informed of their plans - whether you're preparing to open, have moved some services online, have changed your offer, or just want to thank your loyal customers. Find out more.
Making Peterborough City Centre Covid-19 safe
Peterborough City Council is taking the following steps to make the city centre Covid-19 secure:
- Widening pavements and bike lanes to help pedestrians/cyclists - this will involve cordoning off off-street parking
- Installing new bicycle parking
- Council-owned car parks will remain free of charge until 30 June
- We are asking people to adhere to Government guidelines and walk or cycle into the city wherever possible
- Removing some street furniture to create more space
- Introducing an open-air ‘cafe-style’ culture across the city for restaurants/cafes when they are allowed to open again
- Installing clear signage and floor/seat markings to help people know where to stand
- Improving cleaning of the city centre - Including a daily deep-clean hotwash
- Hand sanitising stations throughout the city centre
- Ensuring disabled people can access shopping areas
You can get a preview of some of the artwork, and feed back on additional measures that could help further improve safety around the city centre in the closed Facebook Group for city centre businesses.
Accessing PPE equipment and perspex screens
To help businesses source PPE equipment and perspex screens to keep their staff and visitors safe, Opportunity Peterborough is working with the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority to identify local providers where possible.
For support accessing PPE equipment, please contact Opportunity Peterborough directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Local perspex screen suppliers
- LOF Office Furniture - 01733 555360
- PKB Trade - 01733 295565
- JD Interior Solutions - 01733 665295
- Go Displays - 01733 232000
- POS Display Shops - 01733 892815
- XL Displays - 01733 511030
- RA Baker - 01733 344 177
- Europress - 01733 390890
- Kallkwik - 01733 344955
- GH Display - 01733 570222
- Rapind - 01733 394941
- Nene Rubber - 01733 894949
- POS Display Shops - 01733 892815
- Jansen Displays - (warehouse in Peterborough - collections available) 01480 592444