Changes to the shielding programme
Position last reviewed on 28 August 2020.
The government has paused shielding nationally. This means there are changes to the national advice and support for clinically extremely vulnerable - or shielded people. Find out more in the document below.
Levels of COVID-19 cases have stabilised over the last month in Peterborough and are closer to, although still above, the national average, and above the East of England average. Geographically, there have been more COVID-19 cases in central Peterborough, than in the suburban and rural areas.
Because rates of COVID-19 cases in Peterborough have recently been stable and closer to the national average, Dr Liz Robin, the City’s director of public health is no longer advising Peterborough residents who are clinically extremely vulnerable to take additional precautions over and above the national guidance, which means that:
- You can go to work as long as the workplace is Covid-secure, but should carry on working from home wherever possible
- Clinically extremely vulnerable children can attend education settings in line with the wider national guidance on reopening of schools, and guidance for full opening: special schools and other specialist settings.
- You can go outside as much as you like but you should still try to keep the number of people you interact with outside your own household low
- You can visit businesses, such as supermarkets, pubs and shops, while keeping 2 metres away from others wherever possible
- You should continue to wash your hands carefully and more frequently than usual and make sure that you maintain thorough cleaning of frequently touched areas in your home and/or workspace
As the numbers of COVID-19 cases have been higher in central Peterborough, than in outer and rural areas you may want to take even more care if you live in or visit this area.
You can access the latest information on case numbers in areas of Peterborough by going to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases, clicking on view map in ‘Cases by local area in England’ and typing in a postcode.
Support for people returning to supermarkets and pharmacies
The Countywide Hub has produced this video to help people who are shielding and who have not left home for months to feel confident visiting supermarkets and pharmacies again.
A written version of the script used for the video is also available below.