Independent support

Independent support

The Independent Support Service provides free advice and support for parents of children or young people with special educational needs and disability, through the statutory assessment education, health and care (EHC) plan processes.

Further information is available from the Scope website. or you can access the service by contacting:

Scope - independent support service

Size: 124.69 KB File format: pdf

Support for parents and/or carers

Parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities sometimes need additional support and advice. This might be for themselves, or to help them to get the best support they can for their children and young people.

You can  you can find out more about support for carers here.  There are also a number of dedicated support groups and agencies that they can go to for help, support and guidance. 

The Department for Education and Mencap have also produced guidance relating to the new Education, Health and Care Planning process to assist you:

Support for military families

Parents serving in HM Armed Forces can also access the Children's Education Advisory Service, an information, advice and support service established specifically for Service parents. It covers any issue relating to their children’s education, including special educational needs. 

Appeals and Mediation

If things don't go as you would like them to, you can use our Mediation and Disagreement Resolution provider, KIDS, to help resolve your problem. You can find more information on our Appeals, Mediation and Complaints page.

Have your say

We want to make sure that Peterborough's Local Offer continues to develop to meet the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and their families. To let us know your views please fill in our online feedback form.