Welfare and benefits advice

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)

If you are a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance if you have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia

You must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010.

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.


If you have disabilities you may be able to claim some money from the Government to pay for your housing or support. There are a number of places you can go for advice and information.

You can speak to a Disability Employment Adviser at your local Jobcentre Plus to see what benefits you are able to claim – you can find out more by calling them on 0345 604 3719.

The Benefits Enquiry Line can tell you what benefits you may be able to receive and give you general information – for new claims you can call free on 0800 055 6688.

Information on other benefits

You may be interested in more information about other benefits that may be available to assist young people and families with children who have special educations needs and disability. 

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – is help for parents/carers with the extra costs of looking after a child who is under 16 and has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability. 
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – this is gradually replacing DLA for people aged 16 to 64, even for those with an indefinite or lifetime DLA award. 
  • Child Tax Credits - you could get Child Tax Credit for each child you’re responsible for if they are under 16 or under 20 and in approved education or training. 
  • Working Tax Credits - you could get Working Tax Credit if either you are aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability, or you are 25 or over, with or without children. 

There are a range of other benefits that families may be able to access depending on their circumstances, and these include:

  • Income support - is a means-tested benefit to help individuals or families on a low income and with savings below £16,000
  • Employment and support allowance - a benefit for people aged 16 to 64 whose health problems mean that they are unable to work
  • Housing benefit - for those who pay rent and are on a low income
  • Council Tax support - is for those who are liable for council tax and on a low income - help varies from area to area depending on the local scheme in your area
  • Council Tax disability reduction - if you need extra space in your house because of your child's disability.

For more information, you can check the Gov.uk website or the Families Information Service.

Welfare advice

This service is delivered by DIAL who offer telephone support, drop-ins and family visits about entitlements for families with children and young people with disabilities, including benefit applications and appeals processes.

You can find out more about the service and whether you are eligible for support by calling 01733 265551.

Tax information for deaf people

The Royal Association for Deaf People (RAD) and HMRC have launched a new website, Royal Deaf Tax, which provides information in British Sign Language on tax and tax credits, as well as enabling you to book a webcam appointment with the RAD’s tax advisor. Click here to find out more.

Blue Badge Parking Scheme

Information on the Blue Badge Parking Scheme locally and how to apply for a Blue Badge can be found on the Blue Badge Parking Scheme page.

Have your say

We want to make sure that Peterborough's Local Offer continues to develop to meet the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and their families.To let us know your views please fill in our online feedback form