Parks and open spaces
Central park is located north of the city centre and holds a prestigious Green Flag award. There are a number of facilities available at Central Park, including a paddling pool, sensory garden, an aviary, a cafe and sports playing grounds.
Bretton park is one of the council’s largest green open spaces and can be found in north Bretton. The facilities include a large children’s play area, a BMX track, tennis courts, football pitches and one cricket pitch all regularly used.
Itter Park can be found off Fulbridge Road in Paston. Amenities include a play area, hard and grass tennis courts, a bowling green and a putting green. There are two football pitches which are used by a local team in the winter season.
We provide over 200 play areas for children and young people in and around Peterborough, all are listed within the document on the right.
The equipment ranges in its uses from pre-school to young people. A number of our parks have multi-use games areas for a variety of sports options.
Skate parks open to the public at all times:
- next to the Eye Community Centre
- Fletton Recreation Ground
- Horseshoe Land, Orton Goldhay
- Charteris Centre
- Lawson Avenue, Stanground
- Welland Road Recreation Ground
There are two BMX tracks in Peterborough:
- casual riding use at Bretton Park
- both casual and competitive use at Herlington, Orton Malborne, which is a nationally recognised facility attracting riders from all over the country and it is home to Peterborough Phantoms BMX Club.
Nature and wildlife reserves
We play a leading role in the maintenance of the nature reserves and wildlife areas in the Peterborough area. They offer many diverse habitats to encourage a very wide range of wildlife.