Please note: Peterborough City Council will no longer be providing the Nationality Document Return Service (including Joint Citizenship and Passport Applications) or the European Passport Return Service from the end of November 2018. The Nationality Checking Service may be available until the end of December - at the time of writing we await confirmation from the Home Office. For details of availability prior to the end of these services, please contact us on 01733 864646. Visit Gov.uk for more information as it becomes available.
Citizenship ceremonies will be unaffected, and will still be available in Peterborough beyond the end of November 2018.
The Nationality Document Return Service is a new service offered by Peterborough City Council in partnership with the Home Office. The service is only for people who are applying for British citizenship online.
At your appointment we can copy the documents that support your online application, and send the copies by special delivery post to the Home Office. This means that you can keep the originals, and the Home Office will link the copies that we send to the application that you’ve made.
We can also send off your application for your first British passport – see below for more details.
This service can only be used if you have applied for British citizenship online before your appointment with us. If you are not making an online application, you cannot use this service.
Your appointment with us must be no more than 10 working days after the date you made your online application. If your appointment is more than 10 working days after you made your online application, your application may be rejected by the Home Office and the fee you paid to them lost. If you would like to use our service it may be worth contacting us to make a booking before you submit your online application, to ensure that your appointment date is within the required 10 working days.
We cannot check or offer any guidance on your application or your supporting documents as part of the Nationality Document Return Service. We can only copy your documents, and send them to the Home Office.
Please note: that the Nationality Document Return Service is different to the Nationality Checking Service. The Nationality Document Return Service can only be used for citizenship applications that have been made online. If you are applying for British citizenship using a paper application form, and wish to use our services, you must choose the Nationality Checking Service.
Please visit the Home Office website before making your appointment with us. This contains a range of helpful guidance on the requirements for citizenship.
Please make sure that:
- you have applied for British citizenship online no more than 10 working days before your appointment with us
- your online application was made using the AN or MN1 application route
- you bring all of the original documents that support your citizenship application, so that we can copy these
- you bring your completed online application checklist
- you bring the completed referee page with photo attached
- you bring your PNN number – we cannot complete your appointment without this. This should have been generated as part of your online application
- all applicants aged 18 years or over must attend at the appointment in person. However, please see below if you are also applying for a British passport as part of our service.
If, during your appointment, it becomes apparent that your application is incomplete in any way, we cannot hold your application while you obtain further documents or information.
At your Nationality Document Return Service appointment we can also check and send your application for a British passport. This will be sent to the Home Office with the copies of your citizenship documents. If your application for citizenship is successful, your new passport will be sent to your home address after you have attended a citizenship ceremony.
No additional fee is payable to us for this service, although you will need to pay a passport application fee to the Passport Office when you apply.
If you would like to use this part of our service, please note the following:
- You will need to bring a completed passport application form for each applicant to your appointment.
- Blank application forms, and Home Office guidance on completing the forms, will be sent to you after you have booked the appointment. Guidance can also be found on the Home Office website. Please note that we cannot accept an application form that you have printed yourself.
- Please complete the form in black biro.
- Please complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You do not need to complete section 10, nor have the two photographs certified. Details of referees will be collected as part of the citizenship application.
- The photographs used for your citizenship and passport applications must be identical (i.e. from the same photograph sitting) and must comply with the photo standards as described in the Home Office guidance. If these requirements are not met, the application may not be able to proceed. The applicant’s name should be written on the back of the photographs.
- Any applicant for a British passport who is aged 15 years and 6 months or over at the time of the appointment must come to the appointment in person. If they are not present, we will not be able to send their passport application.
- Please do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the passport application form. Please enter it in section 8 instead. Also grandparents’ details are not required at section 4 of the passport application form.
- Please bring a completed payment form for the passport application fee. The payment form can be found in the Home Office guidance document that we will send to you. Details of the relevant passport fees can be found on the Home Office website.
If you are unsure of anything, leave that section of the form blank, and complete it at your appointment.
If you do not meet the above requirements, we may not be able to send your passport application to the Home Office. If we cannot send your passport application for this or for any other reason, our fee is not refundable.
If you decide not to proceed with your Nationality Document Return Service appointment, we will also be unable to send your passport application – the copies of your citizenship documents and your passport application must be sent together. If your application for citizenship is rejected by the Home Office, your passport application will also be rejected. The Home Office will not refund either fee.
Please note: that you do not have to apply for a passport alongside your citizenship application if you do not want to. If you prefer, you can just apply for citizenship and then apply for a passport at a later date yourself. However, our fees for your appointment will remain the same.
We charge £50 for each applicant. Family groups are charged at £50 per person, not £50 per group.
If you are applying for a passport as part of our service, you will need to pay a fee to the Passport Office. This fee will be sent with the copies of your documents. Details of the Passport Office fees can be found on their website.
If you would like to move your appointment please contact us at least two working days before the original appointment date.
Please note: that we cannot move your appointment more than once without a new appointment fee becoming payable.
You have the right to cancel your appointment and obtain a refund of your appointment fee provided that you send us a cancellation request in writing or by email within 14 clear days of receiving our customer care letter. The customer care letter is sent to you when your appointment booking is processed by us.
Please include your name(s), contact details and the date and time of your appointment in your cancellation request form (see right). However, an email or any other written form is equally acceptable. You can find our full contact details on the cancellation form on our Peterborough Register Office page.
Please remember that you are not required to use the Nationality Document Return Service, nor to apply for your passport at the same time.