The council is working with Queensgate Shopping Centre to make this year’s Christmas lights switch-on the best yet.
The event is taking place on Saturday 18 November in Cathedral Square and will include a packed programme of entertainment for all the family.
The big switch-on will take place at 5pm with Father Christmas, the Mayor, and the Leader of the Council, Councillor John Holdich, pressing the button.
Our celebrations begin at 1pm from the historic Guild Hall on Cathedral Square.
Times and acts are subject to change.
- 1pm: Welcome and start.
- 1.10pm - 2pm: Josh Lovatt Heart FM DJ set.
- 2pm - 2.20pm: JC Salsa Christmas salsa performances.
- 2.25pm - 3.05pm: Tom Korni .The “One Boyband” performs well known songs all on his own, playing his own instruments and drums himself.
- 3.15pm - 3.40pm: Idolising Nova group from Peterborough performing Christmas covers.
- 3.50pm - 4.10pm: Peterborough Voices Women’s choir performing Christmas songs.
- 4.10pm - 4.25pm: The Key Theatre and Broadway Theatre promoting Sleeping Beauty and singing songs from the play.
- 4:30pm - 4.50pm: TickinBoxes. Six-piece band from Peterborough, performing original rock and rock covers and Christmas songs.
- 4.50pm - 4.55pm: Santa Stroll. Santa and his friends on stage to promote the Santa Stroll.
- 4.55pm - 5pm - Final switch-on countdown.
- 5pm - Lights on!
- 5.05pm - 6pm: Josh Lovatt DJ Christmas set.
- 6pm - Event closes.
Proceedings will then move to Queensgate for the centre's own switch-on. Starting at 5.30pm, crowds can expect plenty of entertainment including the official opening of Father Christmas’ grotto in North Square at 6pm.
Free Christmas Lights Fayre!
Everyone is welcome at the Mayor's Christmas Lights Fayre on the day of our Cathedral Square switch-on (18 November).
The free entry fair will be held in the Reception Room at the Town Hall from 12 noon until 5pm.
You can browse gift and craft stalls and pick out that perfect something for friends and loved ones this Christmas.
Festive refreshments will also be on sale. There'll be plenty of mince pies and mulled wine to go around, plus cakes, hot chocolate, tea, coffee and other treats.
Entertainment will be provided by way of a tombola and raffle.
All proceeds go to the Mayor's charities.
If you would like to book a stall for this event, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year's Santa Stroll will take place on 17 December where anybody looking for a festive fitness fix can walk, jog or run the 5km course in provided Santa outfits.
Shoppers can enjoy strolling through beautifully decorated wooden chalets displaying bespoke and inspirational festive gifts at a Christmas market in Cathedral Square from 8 to 23 December. With a beautiful light display and the aroma of mulled wine, sugared almonds, churros and original German Bratwurst in the air, the market promises to evoke the Christmas spirit in everyone!