Drug & alcohol misuse


The Safer Peterborough partnership is responsible for the local implementation of the National Drug Strategy and the commissioning of local services to ensure a joined up approach to tackling drugs in Peterborough.


Safer Peterborough’s vision is to develop a sustainable approach to reducing the harm caused by alcohol within the city to individuals, families and communities.

Specialist alcohol intervention treatment is provided in Peterborough by Aspire.

Discarded needles

The Safer Peterborough partnership works with needle exchanges to promote safe disposal of needles and injecting equipment in our city. Needle exchanges give out small portable needle bins to people who need them and there are a number of community needle bins to help people dispose of their injecting equipment safely.

If you have any concerns about discarded needles, call 01733 747474 and ask for the Safer Peterborough team or email saferpeterborough@peterborough.gov.uk.

A dedicated syringe removal service operates Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm, you can contact them out of hours by calling 01733 864157. Needles can be removed from private land for a nominal fee.

What to do if you find a discarded needle

Your first action should be to report it online or call 01733 747474. 

Do not touch a discarded needle, syringe or other injecting equipment. Children should be advised to tell a responsible adult, such as a teacher, police officer or parent as soon as possible.

What to do if you are pricked by a discarded needle

  • Do not suck the injured area.
  • Encourage bleeding if the needle has broken the skin by squeezing.
  • Wash the injured area with soap and water and cover with a plaster.
  • Seek medical advice as soon as possible, from your GP or the local Accident and Emergency department.

If you find drug-related litter you can report it online or call 01733 747474 and press option 3.

You can call Crimestoppers anonymously to report drug-related activity on 0800 555 1111.

People should report any suspicious activity in their neighbourhoods to the police by calling 101 so that we can tackle supply and dealing of drugs as well as providing treatment and support to reduce drug use.

  • FRANK - confidential and friendly advice on drugs
  • Aspire - drug treatment service