Schools looking to recruit governors can use the poster available to download below, recruitment banners are also available for loan and could be used in the school reception for example.
There are courses and workshops available for governors and chair of governors to help develop the skills needed to carry out the role. Further information about governor development is available from the GOV.UK website.
Training is also available from Governor E-Learning, who run training modules covering a wide variety of different topics relevant to school governors.
Learn Together Cambridgeshire is the governor training programme provided by Cambridgeshire County Council for all school governors in Cambridgeshire. The governor training courses provided by Cambridgeshire County Council are also available to governors at schools in the Peterborough area. Please note that there may be a charge for some courses.
All new governors are provided with an induction pack comprising of:
- Welcome Letter
- Peterborough Governor Guidance Notes
- Peterborough Governor Handbook (see below)
- Training Programme
- Team contacts
- Information on Freedom of Information
- GEL Leaflet
- NGA Guide: Welcome to Governance
Training and development for chairs
An introduction session for new chairs is held once a year. It covers the role of the chair and the relationship between the chair, head and other governors. It also offers the opportunity to network with other newly appointed chairs.
We can arrange for an experienced chair to mentor a newly appointed chair, please email email@example.com or telephone 01733 863642 to find out more.
Governor E-Learning also provide a course for chairs, vice-chairs and chairs of committees to enable you to develop the skills needed to carry out these roles.
Governor Leadership Group
The Governor Leadership Group is made up of nominated chairs of governors representing all school phases, and local authority officers.
The purpose of the group is to:
- promote effective communication and the sharing of good practice between the LA and governing bodies, and to encourage governing bodies to seek help and support from each other.
- provide LA service managers with the governors' perspective in order to inform policy and practice within the service
- support school improvement through the further development of effective school governance in Peterborough schools
- act as a means of consultation to ensure the delivery of a quality service to governing bodies, and as a critical friend to both governing bodies and the LA
|Philippa Cherry||Chair of Governors at Gladstone Primary School|
|Janet Clarke||Chair of Governors at Caverstede Early Years Centre|
|Pauline Coakley||Chair of Governors at The Duke of Bedford Primary School|
|Mike Edwards||Governor at Highlees Primary School|
|Andy Goodsell||Chair of Governors at Eye Primary School|
|Sue Hartropp (Chair)||Chair of Governors at Old Fletton|
|Elaine Hedgecock||Chair of Governors at Highlees Primary School|
|Al Kingsley||Chair of Governors at Hampton College|
|Alan Sadler||Chair of Governors at Jack Hunt School|
|Maggie Short||Chair of Governors at The Phoenix School|
|Bob Smith||Chair of Governors at St Botolph's Primary School|
|Gary Perkins||Head of School Improvement|
Contact governor services
If you have any questions about governor recruitment and development, please contact governor services by telephone 01733 863642 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.