Social Care

Social care is delivered by a variety of providers and agencies, including the council, and a range of voluntary and community sector providers.

Further information on local providers and services is available online

Short Breaks

Short Breaks provide opportunities for children and young people with disabilities to spend time away from parents and carers within quality services.

Short breaks also provides parents and carers with short breaks from their caring responsibilities, and facilitate quality of life by enabling families to access places and activities together.

Details of current commissioned short break services can be found here,

Peterborough Short Breaks Service Statement

Size: 229.50 KB File format: pdf

Eligibility Criteria and Eligibility Framework for Children with a Disability

Eligibility Framework Children with Disabilities

Size: 132.75 KB File format: pdf

Eligibility Criteria Children with Disabilities

Size: 164.33 KB File format: pdf

Support for carers

We have a duty to carry out a carers’ assessment under the Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000, if requested by the carer. The purpose of the assessment is to consider what your needs are in terms of your ability to provide and to continue to provide care for your disabled child, as well as your work, education and leisure needs, with a focus on how you would like to live your life.

The assessment will consider four key areas:

  • autonomy (your views about your role as a carer)
  • health and safety (the impact of your caring role on your wellbeing)
  • managing daily routines (how these may be affected by caring for your child)
  • involvement (whether your participation in other aspects of life is diminished because you are a carer)

Further information about support for carers of children and young people with SEND.

Other services

Have your say

We want to make sure that Peterborough's Local Offer continues to develop to meet the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and their families To let us know your views please fill in our online feedback form.