Finding a local health service

If you want to find a local health service you can search on NHS Choices  where you can find details of local GPs, hospitals and community health services. 

MyHealth Cambridgeshire & Peterborough

A new app to help people find NHS services in the Cambridge & Peterborough area has been launched by Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG. The app is designed for iPhone and iPad and you can download it from the Apple app store

The app provides up-to-date information about the locations and opening times of a range of health services in the area. It will show you services which are currently open, and also services which are currently closed, but that will open soon or the next day. Where a service has multiple opening times in a day such as morning and evening, two entries will appear as a choice for users.

Commissioning (buying) health services

The responsibility for organising local health services is quite complex. 

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is the local NHS organisation responsible for commissioning many local health services for residents registered with a GP. The local GP’s in Peterborough have organised themselves into clusters called Local Commissioning Groups.  

Peterborough City Council and Cambridgeshire County Council also manage some local services such as Health Visiting and School Nursing and some specialist services such as children's head injury rehabilitation are organised locally and nationally by NHS England.  

We know it is very confusing, so if you have a child with a disability or special educational needs and you are unsure of who to contact or how to be referred for a particular service, you can discuss this with your GP.

Health services within the local offer

You can view all health services within the Peterborough local offer online

Here are some examples of services offered:

Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy provide speech and language therapy to children and young people who have speech, language and communication needs and feeding difficulties.

Paediatric Physiotherapy work with children presenting with general developmental delay, disorder of movement or disability due to any diagnosis, or illness for which physiotherapy intervention is indicated.

Occupational Therapists work with children and young people with specific challenges in achieving skills and abilities needed to live a meaningful life.

Children's Community Nurses provide nursing to children with complex needs at home.

Palliative care is support for children, young people and their families with the challenges that having a life-threatening condition can bring. Services can be provided in the family home, the community or a hospice.

Specialist nursing can be provided in a hospital setting or at home.

Mental health support.  The Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) is provided to children and young people who have a co morbid mental health problems. This includes those who have a diagnosis of learning disability, ADHD or ASD and who present with additional mental health needs.

Continuing Care is funding from health to support children and young people whose needs or behaviours are complex, intense, unpredictable and where local services are unable to meet these needs.

Continuing care

The Clinical Commissioning Group fund health care for children and young people through Continuing Care.These exceptional and individual funding requests are usually for medications or treatments which are not routinely provided through other health services that they or NHS England organises.

Continuing care requests need to be supported by clinical reports and recommendations from professionals involved with your child. However, your GP should be able to help you with this.

Decision making

The Designated Clinical Officer supports Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group to meet its statutory responsibilities for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and agrees the health services within an Education, Health and Care plan.

The Designated Clinical Officer in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough is a qualified and experienced nurse, who has extensive experience and expertise in working with children and young people with a range of disabilities and health needs.

The Designated Clinical Officer:

  • is a point of contact for local partners, when notifying parents and the local authority about children and young people they believe have or may have SEN or a disability
  • offers advice on SEN or disabilities
  • provides health advice to local authorities, schools and colleges regarding children and young people with SEN or Disabilities
  • provides a contact for CCGs or health providers so that appropriate notification can be given to the local authority of children under 5 years who they think may have SEN or a disability
  • agrees the health services within an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan

Have your say

We want to make sure that Peterborough's Local Offer continues to develop to meet the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and their families To let us know your views please fill in our online feedback form.