We are responsible for enforcing health and safety regulations in businesses which include catering and hospitality, hairdressing and beauty, motor vehicles, working in an office, retail and warehousing in Peterborough to make sure they are safe for all employees and visitors.
Details about services offered by our Health and Safety team to help businesses comply with health and safety law are outlined below. Further advice is available from our health and safety team by calling customer services on 01733 747474 or by emailing email@example.com.
The Health and Safety Executive website is also a useful source of information.
Our health and safety team carry out investigations into complaints, reportable accidents and ill health in relation to the work place. If you are an employee and you think the law is being broken, or minimum standards are ignored within your workplace, you can contact:
- your employer and try to resolve the issue
- your work/safety representative
- your trade union safety representative.
If the matter is not satisfactorily resolved, you can raise it with the relevant Health and Safety enforcing authority who will decide if an investigation is necessary.
If you need to make a complaint about a business enforced by us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call customer services on 01733 747474.
If you have suffered ill health or an injury in the workplace, certain accidents and ill health are reportable under the 'Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations' RIDDOR legislation.
- Some accidents involving members of the public within a workplace open to the public, such as a shop or leisure facility, are also reportable to RIDDOR, if the injured person is taken to hospital from the scene of the accident
- If, as an employee, you have suffered an accident in a workplace that was not reported, and you believe that it should be investigated, you may raise it with the relevant Health and Safety enforcing authority, who will decide if an investigation is necessary
Details of how to make a report are contained on the Health and Safety Executive website.
Our health and safety officers investigate incidents reported to us in accordance with the Health and Safety Executive's Incident Selection Criteria and consideration of the Enforcement Policy Statement.
Controlling the risks in your workplace is part of health and safety and are identified by risk assessment, which is required by law.
If you have less than five employees, you do not need to record your risk assessment results. The Health and Safety Executive holds information about controlling risks in the workplace and also details how to assess risks in your workplace.
Example risk assessments show how other small and medium-sized businesses have approached risk assessment. Other regulations requiring risk assessment:
- Manual handling operations regulations
- Control of substances hazardous to health regulations
- Noise at work regulations.
The Health and Safety Executive provides comprehensive guidance on manual handling and the risk assessment of hazardous manual handling.
Cooling towers and evaporative condensers are regarded as a significant risk to the spread of legionella bacteria and legionnaire’s disease, when poorly managed. It is essential that all premises must register with us if it houses a cooling tower or evaporative condenser, under the Notification of Cooling Tower and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992.
|Magistrates Court||Magistrates Court, Bridge Street, Peterborough, PE1 1ED|
|County Court||Crown Court, Rivergate, Peterborough, PE1 1EJ|
|Perkins Technology Ltd||Perkins, Vicarage Farm Road, Fengate, Peterborough, PE1 5NA|
|Kitchen Range Foods||Kitchen Range Foods Ltd, Bakewell Road, Orton Southgate, Peterborough, PE2 6XU|
|Tesco Stores Limited||1 Staplee Way, Parnwell, Peterborough, PE1 4YT|
|Chiltern Cold Storage Group Ltd||Chiltern Cold Storage Group Ltd, Shrewsbury Avenue, Woodston, Peterborough, PE2 7LB|
|Royal Air Force||Royal Air Force Wittering, Great North Road, Wittering, Peterborough, PE8 6HB|
|Peter Brotherhood Ltd||85 Papyrus Road, Werrington, Peterborough, PE4 5HG|
|XPO Logistics||Xpo Logistics, Shrewsbury Avenue, Woodston, Peterborough, PE2 7LB|
|Kingsley Beverages Limited||Unit 2, Waterworth Road, Alwalton Hill, Peterborough, PE7 3AG|
The term ‘Occupational Health’ simply means ‘health which is related to work’.
Our aims are to:
- Prevent work-related ill health
- Facilitate rehabilitation and return to work following ill health or injury
- Promote well-being at work
- Assist compliance with health and safety and disability legislation
To achieve our aims we work with:
- Health and Safety - to identify and control significant health and safety risks, and provide advice to support a healthy and safe working environment
- Human Resources - to support managers and employees in the reduction of sickness absence, and to consider reasonable adjustments
- Employees - support to manage health challenges such as day to day work related demands and pressures, and musculoskeletal conditions
- External providers - to arrange counselling support, ill-health/pension related assessments, independant specialist management advice and physiotherapy and rehabilitation services
What we offer:
- Confidential Occupational Health assessments
- Health monitoring and surveillance
- Fast track to confidential counselling support
- Well-being advice and opportunities to participate in employee health and well-being activities
Benefits of our Occupational Health service:
- Reduced absence costs through employee illness
- Increased staff retention and productivity
- Increased levels of employee engagement
If we can help your organisation or you would like to know more, please contact Occupational Health on 01733 452656 or email email@example.com.
Asbestos is the greatest single cause of work-related deaths. Huge amounts of asbestos were installed in buildings during the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's and much of it is still in place today.
If you own, manage or have responsibility for a workplace building that may contain asbestos you need to think about the risk of exposure to workers and others who may use the building. You need to be able to identify, assess and manage any asbestos materials on your premises.
If you are a household in Peterborough that wishes to dispose of asbestos, please visit our Householders Recycling Centre webpage which provides advice on how to safely dispose of this material.
Further asbestos guidance and regulations are available from the Health and Safety Executive website.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is produced when fossil fuels are burnt and is a particular problem in enclosed spaces.
Businesses that choose to use charcoal indoors must have appropriate control measures to ensure the safety of their staff, and others who may be affected by carbon monoxide emissions. Ideally, fuels such as charcoal should never be used in indoor grills or other cooking appliances.
If you are responsible for organising events such as car boot fairs, craft shows, entertainment, fetes etc. guidance is available on how to run events safely from the Health and Safety Executive website.
The Gov.uk website also has a useful guide on how to organise a voluntary event.
Safety Advisory Group (SAG)
The Event Safety Advisory Group (SAG), comprises senior officers from all of the emergency services, the council and also representatives from other relevant organisers. The agencies consider any implications and ensure that there are sufficient resources available should there be an incident for which they are required.
If you are planning an event which involves a large gathering of people we would like you to provide details of the event to the Safety Advisory Group (SAG). Please complete and return the event notification form.
Local businesses are offered a helping hand to comply with health and safety law through our free DVD loan service. A variety of useful health and safety DVD's are available for hire, free of charge, to businesses located within the district. These can prove to be useful in assisting with staff training needs or to help managers and appointed persons update their knowledge.
Complete the form below to request the DVD's you would like.