It is delivered in close partnership with Housing Associations and Local Authorities, including Peterborough City Council.
LEAP offers a free of charge in-home advice visit. The Home Energy Advisors can:
- install free simple energy saving measures
- arrange a free money advice consultation
- help you find funding for further energy saving home improvements
- check if you're on the best energy tariff
For self referrals use the new freephone number 0800 060 7567.
Warmer Homes is a group of nine English councils (including Peterborough City Council) which have secured approximately £5 million from the Warm Homes Fund (WHF) to install first time central heating in nearly 1500 homes over the next three years.
The main aims include helping residents to reduce their bills, increase comfort in non-gas households, and to improve health outcomes.
You may be eligible if the main method of heating your home is one of the following:
- electric storage heaters
- room heaters
- open fires
- you are in receipt of any means tested benefits
- you have a low household income
- have a long-term health condition
A home visit from a LEAP Home Energy Advisor will be required (if one hasn't already done so) in order for the installation of central heating to be approved after you have applied.
Green Homes Grant
Homeowners and landlords in England can apply for a voucher towards the cost of installing energy efficient and low-carbon heating improvements to homes, which could help save up to £600 a year on energy bills.
The government will provide a voucher that covers up to two thirds of the cost of qualifying improvements to your home. The maximum value of the voucher is £5,000. You may be able to receive a higher level of subsidy if you are a homeowner and either you or a member of your household receives one of the qualifying benefits, covering 100% of the cost of the improvements. The maximum value of these voucher is £10,000. Landlords cannot apply for the low-income part of the scheme.
Green Homes Grant - Local Authority Delivery
Further information and full eligibility criteria for the Green Homes Grant - Local Authority Delivery can be found by calling our Local Energy Advice Partnership on 0800 060 7567.
Households are likely to be eligible for the GHG LAD scheme if the following two statements apply:
- The total annual household income is less than £30,000
- The property has an EPC rating of E, F or G (if no valid EPC is present, the team can arrange for an EPC to be carried out)
Call the number above to speak to a member of the team for full details and to find out what to do next.
We encourage anyone who is in doubt about their eligibility, or who just wants to find out more, to call the team.
Other energy strategies and projects
There are various other energy strategies and projects including:
- Energy from Waste Facility - Also known as Energy recovery is a proven, reliable technology that has been used for many years by some of the most environmentally-aware countries. This technology was recommended to be the best solution to Peterborough’s waste materials that can't be reused or recycled.
- HECA - The council must present the energy conservation measures they considers practicable, cost effective and likely to lead to a significant improvement in the energy efficiency for its residents.
- ECO Flex - The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) requires large energy companies to help improve the energy efficiency of domestic homes by discounting the cost of improvement works. This applies to certain households who are struggling to pay their energy bills and are defined as being in fuel poverty.
Energy Saving Trust - A leading, impartial organisation helping homeowners and businesses to reduce their energy consumption by providing advice on how sustainable, low carbon lifestyles can be achieved.