Resolved: At the end of the petition period
We are looking for your views on a pedestrian bridge which will link the Embankment with Fletton Quays.
The bridge will offer a non-vehicular alternative route across the river, away from the busy main road. It will create a good link from the south of the city to the new university campus and Embankment area.
- To make it easier to walk and cycle into and around the city centre - boosting public health and air quality by reducing city centre traffic
- To create a local landmark and point of interest on the river
A design has been costed and can be delivered for the funding available for this project.
Following Towns Fund approval of the business case, we have secured a total of £2million from the Government. The Government has ring-fenced this money and we can only spend it on this project.
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority has contributed £3.4million. The remainder comes from our own redevelopment budget.
Have your say
We would like your views on:
- If you feel the project will be beneficial
- The name of the bridge
- If you would welcome an art project on the bridge
- If you feel additional street furniture is needed (bin, bench etc)
- General comments about the bridge and the project
The current estimated timeline would see construction start in mid-2024 and finish in mid-2025.
In the survey, you have the opportunity to vote for your preferred name for the bridge:
- King Charles Bridge
- Embankment Bridge
- Charles Swift Bridge
- Walter's Bridge
- Cygnet Bridge
Our survey opened on Monday 15 May 2023 and ran until Monday 5 June 2023, 11.59pm.
You can request a copy of the survey in additional languages by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit us and find out more about the bridge at one of our pop-up events:
- Saturday 20 May 2023 from 11am to 2pm at Nene Park Festival
- Wednesday 24 May 2023 from 9am to 12noon outside the Town Hall, Bridge Street
- Thursday 25 May 2023 from 5pm to 8pm outside the Town Hall, Bridge Street