We are responsible for making sure that drivers, proprietors and operators of hackney carriages are fit and proper persons to hold such licences.
Hackney carriage drivers
Drivers are issued with a badge which must be worn at all times when carrying out their duties. We only issue licences after the driver has been checked to make sure that he or she:
- has a valid driving licence
- is a fit and proper person
- understands the relevant laws
- has a good knowledge of the Peterborough
- has a good standard of driving.
Apply for a hackney carriage licence
In support of a completed application form the applicant will have to provide us with the following:
- a current full UK driving licence, held for more than one year (photo card licenses require the paper counter part to be produced)
- evidence of any previous criminal conviction, spent or not spent, the disclosure being acquired by the Licensing Officer from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- two references from persons who have known the applicant for at least three years and not being a close relative - form available from the licensing team upon request
- details of the applicant's proposed employer (unless the applicant is to be self employed)
- satisfactory medical form completed by the applicant's GP - form available from the licensing team upon request
- appropriate fees
- three passport sized photographs
Should your application be unsuccessful or you have your badge and licence revoked, you have the right of appeal to the magistrates court witihin 21 days.
Have your say
Following the recent consultation and adoption of the council's Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy, the council is now consulting on new draft Byelaws for Hackney Carriages, and once again we invite your comments.