We are responsible for making sure that drivers, proprietors and operators of hackney carriages are fit and proper persons to hold such licences.
Hackney carriage drivers
Drivers are issued with a badge which must be worn at all times when carrying out their duties. We only issue licences after the driver has been checked to make sure that he or she:
- has a valid driving licence
- is a fit and proper person
- understands the relevant laws
- has a good knowledge of the Peterborough
- has a good standard of driving.
Application for a hackney carriage licence
In support of a completed application form the applicant will have to provide us with the following:
- a current full UK driving licence, held for more than one year (photo card licenses require the paper counter part to be produced)
- evidence of any previous criminal conviction, spent or not spent, the disclosure being acquired by the Licensing Officer from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- two references from persons who have known the applicant for at least three years and not being a close relative - form available from the licensing team upon request
- details of the applicant's proposed employer (unless the applicant is to be self employed)
- satisfactory medical form completed by the applicant's GP - form available from the licensing team upon request
- appropriate fees
- three passport sized photographs
Should your application be unsuccessful or you have your badge and licence revoked, you have the right of appeal to the magistrates court witihin 21 days.