Our taxi regulatory officers carry out various vehicle stop and checks per week. They also perform late night inspections to ensure compliance with licence conditions. Any conditions found not to be complied with, will be reported.
General driver conditions
- obstruct authorised officers or police officers
- fail to comply with a request from such an officer
- use false addresses
- fail to report accidents to the licensing section
- fail to report their change of address, or the transfer of their plates.
Private hire conditions
- illegally ply for hire, this will also invalidate the insurance
- stand, wait or pull onto hackney carriage ranks
- fail to wear their badge
- have their two-way radio loose in the foot-well of their vehicle
- drive without insurance.
Hackney carriage conditions
- drive their cabs with their meters unsealed
- drive uninsured
- allow their vehicles to be driven by unlicensed drivers.
These offences carry maximum fines of between £400 and £5000 and in some instances will also include a minimum of 6 to 8 points on your licence.
Those drivers continually caught breaking the law or behaving in an unacceptable way will be reported to the Licensing Sub Committee who may suspend or revoke the drivers licence.
Rules of evidence
Our licensing enforcement team are like any other authorised enforcement agency and must comply with all rules of evidence and home office guidelines to ensure consistency and fairness.
In any case presented before a magistrate or crown court, the prosecution must prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the offence charged was committed by the defendant. This means that in all cases our officers must ensure that they have followed up all reasonable lines of enquiry and that the matter has been processed efficiently and within strict guidelines and time limits.
- The Police and Criminal Evidence Act
- Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act
- The Human Rights Act
- Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act (1976)
- Town Police Clauses Act (1847)
- Regulatory Investigations Procedures Act
In order to ensure a reasonable chance of success the legislation must be used and adhered to.
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing policy consultation
The council are consulting on a new Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing policy and invite your comments. The draft policy and appendix documents are available to view on the consultation page, at Bayard Place or at the Town Hall.