Skip to main content

Building regulations advice

Before you get building work done

These steps provided by Citizens Advice, should help you save time, money and stress when you’re preparing to get building work, renovations or repairs done on your home. They’ll also help you avoid problems with builders, plumbers or other contractors, and ensure you get the right permission and approvals.

Before you get any building work done (Citizens Advice)

Local Authority Building Control (LABC)

LABC is a not-for-profit membership organisation that represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales. They provide lots of useful information and advice for when you are planning or starting a building project.

LABC logo

Peterborough City Council Building Control

We offer free localised advice over the telephone for building regulations enquiries. If you would like to speak to a member of the team please call 01733 453422 or email

Building Control application forms

There are two options when submitting an application for Building Regulations approval - Full Plans and Building Notice. 

If you have already carried out the works and are now looking to confirm that it complies with the Building Regulations, you need to submit an application for regularisation.

See our Building Regulations - online application form page for more information. 

Changes to the Building Regulations (October 2023)

High Risk Residential Buildings (HRBs)

Applications for new or altered High Risk Residential Buildings (HRBs) must now be made to the new Building Safety Regulator. In addition, all existing HRBs need to be registered with the Regulator. 

Further information can be found at Building Safety Regulator (


The introduction of clear requirements for dutyholders and their competence.

A client will now be required to make suitable arrangements for planning, managing, and monitoring a project to ensure compliance with The Building Regulations.

To do this, they must appoint a Principal Contractor and a Principal Designer who are competent to undertake that type of work. Clients must also provide full details of those appointments to Building Control and notify of any subsequent changes in these roles.

If they fail to do so or are “domestic clients” then the designer in control of the design phase of the project will automatically become the Principal Designer and the contractor in control of the construction phase of the project will become the Principal Contractor.

Further information on the change to Building regulations (

Approved Documents

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government publishes guidance called ‘Approved Documents’ on ways to meet building regulations.

These contain:

  • General guidance on the performance expected of materials and building work in order to comply with the building regulations
  • Practical examples and solutions on how to achieve compliance for some of the more common building situations