Skip to main content

Club premises certificate


To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club, you need a club premises certificate from us. 

In a qualifying club there is technically no sale by retail of alcohol, except to guests, as the member owns part of the alcohol stock and the money passing across the bar is merely a mechanism to preserve equity between members where one may consume more than another.

In order to constitute a qualifying club you must also satisfy the various requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003.

Application for club premises certificate

Please note: when making an additional payment please remember to quote the reference number given and ensure that you only pay the amount requested.

A club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes.

Applications should be submitted with a plan of the premises which must be in a specific format, a copy of the rules of the club and a club operating schedule, which includes:

  • the activities of the club
  • the times the activities are to take place
  • other opening times
  • if alcohol supplies are for consumption on or off the premises or both
  • the steps that the club propose to take to promote the licensing objectives
  • any other information that is required.

If there any alterations to the rules or name of the club before an application is determined or after a certificate is issued, the club secretary must give details to us. If a certificate is in place this must be sent to us when they are notified.

If a certificate is in place and the registered address of the club changes, the club must give notice to us of the change and provide the certificate with the notice.

A club may apply to vary a certificate and the certificate should accompany the application. We may inspect the premises before an application is considered. 


New and variation applications

  1. The fee payable for new and variation applications is based on the rateable value (bands A to E) of the premises
  2. Each band attracts a different level of annual fee - payable one year after the grant of the licence
Rateable Value Band (1) New / Variation Fee (2) Annual Maintenance Fee
No Rateable Value to £4,300 A £100 £70
£4,301 to £33,000 B £190 £180
£33,001 to £87,000 C £315 £295
£87,001 to £125,000 D £450 £320
£125,001 and above E £635 £350

Application for Minor Variation to a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate = £89

3. A multiplier is applied to premises in bands D and E (Club Premises Certificates will not be subject to these multipliers) where there are exclusively or primarily in the business of supplying alcohol for consumption on the premises (mainly large town / city centre pubs).

Band D (x2) E (x2)
Application fee £900 £1,905
Annual fee £640 £1,050

Large venues

Where the maximum number of persons allowed on the premises at the same time is 5,000 or more, the application must be accompanied by an additional fee and an additional annual fee will be payable.

Number in attendance at any one time Additional application fee Additional annual fee
5,000 to 9,999 £1,000 £500
10,000 to 14,999 £2,000 £1,000
15,000 to 19,999 £4,000 £2,000
20,000 to 29,999 £8,000 £4,000
30,000 to 39,999 £16,000 £8,000
40,000 to 49,999 £24,000 £12,000
50,000 to 59,999 £32,000 £16,000
60,000 to 69,999 £40,000 £20,000
70,000 to 79,999 £48,000 £24,000
80,000 to 89,999 £56,000 £28,000
90,000 and over £64,000 £32,000


Applications for Club Premises Certificates which relate to the provision of regulated entertainment only, are exempt from paying fees where:

(1) the application is by a proprietor of an educational institution in respect of premises that are or form part of an educational establishment:

(a) the establishment is a school or college;

(b) the provision of regulated entertainment on the premises is carried on by the establishment for and on behalf of that establishment; or

(2) the application is in respect of premises that are or form part of a Church Hall, Chapel Hall or similar building or a Village Hall, Parish Hall or other similar building.

Additionally, no annual fee is payable under the above exemption

Other licences and charges

Club Certificates - Miscellaneous Fee
Application for a Provisional Statement Where Premises Being Built £315.00
Notification of Change of Name or Address £10.50
Theft, Loss etc of Certificate or Summary £10.50
Notification of Change of Name or Alteration of Rules of Club £10.50
Change of Relevant Registered Address of Club £10.50
Right of Freeholder etc to be Notified of Licensing Matters £21.00

Qualifying criteria

A qualifying club has general conditions it must satisfy, these are:

  • a person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted.
  • that club rules state that those becoming member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • that the club has at least 25 members
  • that alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club.

Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with, which are:

  • that alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of the club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members
  • that no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club
  • that there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club.

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if the alcohol is purchased for and supplied by the club and is done under the control of the members, or a committee of members.

Relevant miners' welfare institutes can also be considered. Further guidance and conditions for club premises certificates are outlined within the website.

Yes. Legislation states that the council must grant all applications unless it receives relevant representations. Where representations are received you will be notified by us and it may be necessary for the application to be determined by the Licensing Committee. If you have not heard from us within seven days of the consultation period ending you may assume the application to be deemed granted. Depending on the type of application the consultation period will be 14 or 28 days. 

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance. A failed applicant will receive notice of the refusal of an application for a certificate or variation of a certificate from us. If an application is rejected, the applicant may appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Licence holder redress

If we refuses an application for a variation the licence holder may appeal the decision. A licence holder can appeal against a decision to put conditions on a certificate or to exclude any club activity. Appeals may also be made against the variation of any condition.

Appeals against the decision of a review can be made. A club may appeal against the withdrawing of a certificate. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed

Consumer complaint

  • we would always advise that in the event of a complaint, the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery)
  • if that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct can give you advice
  • from outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

A club member may request a review of the certificate. We will give reasons for the response to the application in a notice. Appeals against the decision of a review can be made. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Other redress

Any interested party may make representations to us before the certificate is granted or before amendments to a certificate are granted. If representations are made a hearing will be held to consider the application and the representations. Notices will be made by us, detailing the reasons for any outcome. Interested parties who made representations will receive notice of a failed application.

An interested party is:

  • a person living near the premises or a body representing such a person
  • a person involved in a business near the premises or a body representing such a person

An interested party may request a review of the club premises certificate. We will give reasons for their response to the application in a notice.

An interested party may appeal if they argue that a certificate should not have been granted or that different or additional conditions or limitations on activities should have been made. They may also appeal against any variation of a condition. Appeals against the decision of a review can be made. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Contact the licensing team

If you require further information or guidance, please contact our licensing team by calling 01733 453491 or by email at