Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority, headed by Mayor James Palmer, has awarded Peterborough City Council the funding to prepare a Transport Business Case and undertake Detailed Design for a range of improvements within the Fengate area. The package of schemes will add capacity to the highway network and unlock congestion throughout the area, to facilitate planned employment growth within Fengate. The following schemes will be undertaken as part of the package of works:
- Storeys Bar Road/Edgerley Drain Road junction improvements
- Provide an additional Lane on the A15 eastbound from Junction 20 to Junction 8
- Replace T junction at Newark Road/Oxney Road with a mini roundabout
- Improvements to the existing signals at junction 7
- Improvements to the existing Oxney Road/Sainsbury’s roundabout
- Footway improvements on Newark Road
The package of schemes will add capacity to the highway network, addressing existing problems of peak hour congestion, and help to facilitate planned employment growth within Fengate. The proposed enhancements will reduce delay and improve journey times which will benefit Peterborough’s residents, businesses, visitors and overall economy.
These junction improvements will also make it greener and safer for cyclists and pedestrians, with the development of walking and cycling works.
The intention is that the schemes will be built between 2021 and 2022, subject to a funding decision by the Combined Authority for approval to proceed to construction of the works. Construction of the schemes will take place at different times to minimise disruption to traffic. Further information about each scheme is detailed below and the consultation for all schemes closes at 5pm on Thursday 18 March.
As part of this consultation we are seeking the views of the public prior to completing the detailed designs. To get involved please email email@example.com with your comments or suggestions.
Storeys Bar Road/Edgerley Drain Road Junction
- New improved signals
- Pedestrian and cycle improvements
A15 Improvements (Junction 20 to junction 8)
- Additional lane eastbound from junction 20 towards Eye roundabout adding extra capacity
Oxney Road/Newark Road scheme
- Mini roundabout to replace existing T-junction, reducing congestion currently on Newark road.
A1139 Junction 7 improvements
- Upgrade existing signalised crossing
Oxney Road/Sainsbury’s roundabout improvements
- Road safety improvements for pedestrians including a new signalised crossing
- New footpath between Cobblestone Way and Saracen Way