Skip to main content

Moving schools (in-year) transfer

Please note: If your child is currently on roll at a Peterborough school and you are looking to move them to another school without moving house, you need to send completed copies of both the parent application and student details forms. Failure to send both sections of your application will result in delays to your application.

Waiting lists for the current academic year close on 21 June 2024. If you wish to apply for places for the next academic year, from September 2024, you can apply online from 28 June 2024 and your application will be processed week commencing 15 July 2024. 

Admissions phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 2pm.


An in-year admission could be:

  • a move between Peterborough schools, or
  • a move to a Peterborough school from a school in a different county or country

To apply for a place at a school outside of Peterborough, you will need to apply to the local authority which the new school is located.

You can submit an application for a school place up to 30 school days before the intended start date. When we have received a complete application, along with the appropriate documentary evidence, (proof of your Peterborough address and Student Details form where your child is moving from one Peterborough School to another) we process applications following the timetable found below.

Please note: Your reason for applying or your circumstances may affect how you apply. Please ensure you read through the information on this page to get the best experience of the In-Year Admissions process.

When you can apply

If you want to apply for an In Year place you need to make your application in line with the dates listed below.

Allocations are made term-time only. There will be no in-year allocations taking place during the school holidays.

The deadline for applications to be received and processed within an allocation is Thursday at midday.

Allocation dates - week commencing Deadline for applications to be received Offer letters / emails to be sent no later than
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY (No allocations this week) 21 December 2023 3 January 2024
8 January 2024 4 January 2024 12 January 2024
22 January 2024 18 January 2024 26 January 2024
5 February 2024 1 February 2024 9 February 2024
HALF TERM 19 February 2024 23 February 2024
26 February 2024 22 February 2024 1 March 2024
11 March 2024 7 March 2024 15 March 2024
25 March 2024 21 March 2024 28 March 2024
EASTER HOLIDAY 29 March 2024 12 April 2024
22 April 2024 18 April 2024 26 April 2024
6 May 2024 2 May 2024 10 May 2024
20 May 2024 16 May 2024 24 May 2024
HALF TERM 27 May 2024 31 May 2024
3 June 2024 30 May 2024 7 June 2024
17 June 2024 13 June 2024 21 June 2024
1 July 2024 27 June 2024 5 July 2024
15 July 2024 11 July 2024 19 July 2024

Before you apply

If you are changing from one Peterborough school to another you will need to ask your current school to complete a student details form. You will need to send the completed form with your in-year application. Your application will not be processed without this form. 

Size: 175KBFile format: pdf

If you are applying under academic or religious grounds, you may also need to complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) and send this to the school so they have it when they receive a request for a school place from us.

Many issues that worry parents/carers and children can be put right without the need to move schools. Before you consider changing your child’s school, we recommend that you reflect and discuss the move with your child’s tutor/head of year or head teacher prior to making an application.

It is important that you think carefully before moving your child from their current school.

Please read our leaflet of 'things to consider' to ensure you are fully aware of some of the issues that can affect your child moving school.

Your catchment school

It is strongly recommended that you choose your catchment school as one of your three school preferences, even if there are currently no places available, as this may affect your entitlement to transport, should it not be possible to offer a place at this school. Please read our Frequently Asked Questions for more details.

In a small number of cases, your child’s address may be in the catchment area for a school that falls under a neighbouring local authority. If this is the case for your child’s home address, you should make your application to that local authority.

We also encourage you to find out more about schools in Peterborough by:

Size: 137KBFile format: pdf

Moving schools due to moving home

For cases in which you are seeking an in-year transfer due to moving home, you will need to provide proof of your new address with your application.

If you are unable to provide proof of your new address, you can apply using your old address. However this may affect how your application is considered against the over-subscription criteria for your chosen schools and your position on the school’s waiting list, should your preferred school be full.

Moving from abroad

UK law states that children must be receiving an education between the school term after their fifth birthday and the last Friday in June in the school year that they turn 16.

If you are moving from overseas, temporarily or permanently, your child may be eligible for a school place. You will need to provide proof of your new address. Your child must be:

  • aged between 4 and 16
  • intending to attend a Peterborough school for at least 30 school days

Please note: If you are applying for a Year 11 school place between April and July, please do not submit an application. This is due to GCSE exams and study leave taking place during this period.

Please email for further guidance and include your full name, address and contact details. We only process applications for Peterborough state schools. We do not manage admissions for independent (fee paying) schools.

Find more information on standard visitor visas and study visas on GOV.UK.

Changing schools if your child has Special Educational Needs

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs, you will need to contact the Statutory Assessment and Monitoring Service (SAM) instead of the Admissions Team. Find out more on our Family Information Service website.

You may also like to contact the SAM Service on 01733 863733 or by email to

Changing schools for looked after children or previously looked after children

Under the School Admissions Code, children who are looked after or have previously been looked after are granted a priority in admissions arrangements.

A child is looked after by a local authority if a court has granted a care order to place a child in care, or a council’s children’s services department has cared for the child for more than 24 hours.

Applications for looked after children must be made by the Social Worker involved with the child or documentation attached to your application to say that their social worker is in agreement with the application.

A previously looked after child is defined as a child who following being looked after became subject to:

  • an Adoption Order under the Adoption Act 1976 or Section 46 of the Adoption and Children Act 2002
  • a Residence or Child Arrangement Order under Section 8 of the Children Act 1989 and amended by Section 12 of the families Act 2014
  • Special Guardianship Order under Section 14a of the Children Act 1989
  • For previously looked after children you will need to provide evidence that they were previously looked after and attach this to your application.

UK service personnel/crown agents

If you provide an official government letter stating your relocation date and intended address, we can allocate a school place in advance.

We will accept a Posting Order, or a quartering area address for applications from service personnel in the absence of a permanent home address.

You will need to provide this documentation with your application.

Apply for a school place

You will need to make an application per child, based on your child’s home address.

When you apply we strongly recommend using all three preferences of which one is your catchment school. If you apply to one school, and we are unable to make an offer for this school, the offer you receive may be a school you would not have chosen for your child.

The following schools process their own In Year applications:

  • Braybrook Primary Academy
  • Discovery Primary Academy
  • Fulbridge Academy
  • Gladstone Primary Academy
  • Hampton Vale Primary Academy
  • Lime Academy Trust: Abbotsmede/Parnwell/Watergall
  • Manor Drive Primary Academy
  • Manor Drive Secondary Academy
  • Arthur Mellows Village College
  • Thomas Deacon Academy
  • G.P.U.T.C

Please contact these schools directly for In Year admissions.

School places and Brexit

The Department for Education has provided us with updated guidance following on from Brexit regarding the rights of foreign national children, who are within the UK and their rights to a school place. If you believe this information relates to your situation, please read the information provided.

Contact us

Should you need to write to us you can do so at:

School Admissions Team
Peterborough City Council
Sand Martin House
Bittern Way
Fletton Quays

Or alternatively you can email us at