National non-domestic rates also known as business rates are payable by local shops, offices and factories.
Failure to pay your business rates on time could lead to you losing your right to pay by instalments. To make it as easy as possible for you, there are several ways to pay your business rates.
How to pay
- Pay by Debit card online
- Pay by Direct Debit by creating an online account
- Call 01733 452252 to pay by credit card, debit card or set up a direct debit. Make sure you have your bill and bank account details to hand.
Business rates are due on the first day of each month, by 10 monthly instalments from April to January each financial year.
You can also request that your instalments are spread over the full 12 months. To arrange this you must apply in writing to the Business Rates team at:
Peterborough City Council
or by email to email@example.com
Home internet banking and bank credits
Our account details are:
- Barclays Bank, Peterborough
- Sort Code: 20-67-37
- Account number 10572918
- Use your council tax account number as the reference on the payment.
Cheques and postal orders
- To be made payable to: Peterborough City Council
- Post to: Peterborough Direct, Strategic Resources, Bayard Place, Broadway, Peterborough, PE1 1FZ
- Write your name, address and business rates number on the reverse of the cheque
- If you require a receipt you must enclose a stamped addressed envelope
- DO NOT SEND CASH.
Reductions to business rates
Under certain circumstances, some organisations or businesses may be entitled to business rates relief. To apply, please call Peterborough Direct on 01733 747474 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charities and similar organisations
Relief is given at 80% of the rates payable to charities using any non-domestic property for charitable purposes. We also have discretion to allow relief on all or part of the remaining 20% of the charity's bill.
This includes allowing relief on all or part of the rate bill for property occupied by organisations not established or conducted for profit, e.g. sports clubs and community associations.
Relief is available where a non-domestic property is unoccupied and not in use:
- for the first three months there is no charge in respect of retail premises
- for the first six months there is no charge in respect of industrial premises
Partly occupied property
If a property is temporarily partly occupied, for example where a company phases its removal from one premises to another, relief may be allowed on the empty part.
We can ask the Valuation Office to split the rateable value between the occupied and unoccupied parts. This relief is granted either to the end of the financial year or to the date on which the property ceases to be partly occupied.
The occupier of a rural general store, Post Office, Public House or petrol station may be entitled for up to 50% relief, where the rateable value is less than a specified amount and there is only one business of that type in the rural settlement.
Where a business is the sole business of a person or company in England and the rateable value is below £18,000, they may be able to apply for a reduction in the rates bill.
The level of reduction will depend on the actual rateable value, with those properties having lower values receiving a greater reduction. The maximum amount is 100% for a period of 24 months.
- Properties with rateable values of up to £6,000 may qualify for 100% relief
- those between £6,001 and £12,000 may qualify for an amount on a sliding scale between 100% and 0%
- those between £12,001 and £18,000 may be charged using the lower small business multiplier.
If you already qualify for small business rates relief this will automatically be adjusted and you will be notified of the revised amount.
If you wish to make an application as you believe you may be entitled to relief or if you require more information, please call Peterborough Direct on 01733 452252.