The council operates a Public Space Surveillance System, often referred to as CCTV (closed circuit television). We have over 160 cameras covering the city centre and other public spaces and they are monitored 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Please note: the council does not have access to every CCTV camera in the city as some will be owned and operated by businesses.

All our CCTV operators are trained in the use of the system and adhere to the relevant CCTV Code of Practice and Operating Procedures. They are all licensed by the Security Industry Authority to operate and record images using the CCTV system.

If you are considering making a request for footage then camera locations can be found using our interactive system called Hawkeye.

How to use Hawkeye:

  • After clicking on the above link, look on the left hand side and click on 'Community Information' and tick the box next to CCTV Cameras.

How do I access images of myself?

You have the right to request CCTV footage of yourself under section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998. You have a right to be provided with images of yourself, if we hold them, but not of any third parties.

If you require CCTV footage of yourself that you believe may have been captured by cameras owned by the council, please complete the CCTV footage request form. To help us to identify the footage you require, please ensure you provide the following identifying information, where applicable:

  • The date and time of the requested footage
  • The precise location of the requested footage
  • The make, model, colour and registration number of your vehicle (if required footage involves your vehicle)
  • A description of yourself to aid the CCTV operators to locate footage of you
  • Any further descriptive details you feel are relevant to your application

Please note: there is a £10 charge for processing a subject access request application, which is payable by cheque to Peterborough City Council. We are unable to accept cash payments. You will also be required to provide photographic evidence of your identity; this could be in the form of a current passport, driving licence or student card. This is so that we can identify you in any footage.

CCTV footage is held by the council for a period of 30 days only. Any footage requested beyond this time limit will not be available.

Please be aware that while some of our cameras are fixed, many of our cameras automatically rotate. This means that it may not have captured footage of an incident because the camera may be rotating to focus on a different area.

CCTV Request Form - SAR

Size: 139.67 KB File format: pdf

Can my request be refused?

The council cannot release CCTV footage following a subject access request where third party individuals can be identified unless those parties have consented to the disclosure.

We may also refuse to provide footage to you whereby doing so would be likely to prejudice:

  • The prevention and detection of crime
  • Apprehension and prosecution of offenders

If no data is held with regard to your request, or the data falls into a category exempted from disclosure, you will be notified in writing of this.

Important information if you have:

  • been the victim of a crime
  • been involved in a road traffic collision or
  • are an insurance company or legal representative

We are unable to accept subject access requests in these instances because we will only be able to provide you with images of yourself and not third parties.

If you have been the victim of a crime, or it is a crime-related incident, you should report the matter to the police by calling either 999 in an emergency or 101 in a non-emergency. The police can make a request direct to us to view our footage and, if held, it will be provided to the investigating officer.

If you have been involved in a road traffic collision your insurance company can request footage under section 35 of the Data Protection Act 1998. These requests are subject to a £100 + VAT charge and the relevant footage, if held, will then be sent to them. Please note that the fee is payable even if the incident has not been captured.

Section 35 requests should be made in writing to:

The CCTV Manager
c/o Bayard Place
PE1 1HZ.

CCTV Request Form - Section 35

Size: 133.72 KB File format: pdf

Further Help

If you are still unsure as to whether the information you require falls under a subject access request, please contact the Information Governance Team by telephone on 01733 452533 or email

Alternatively you can write to:

Information Manager
Legal & Governance Department
Peterborough City Council
Town Hall
Bridge Street