The Council appoints the Leader of the Council (usually a member of the group with the political majority) and he or she appoints up to nine other Councillors (usually of the same political group as the Leader) to serve with the Leader on the Cabinet. One of the Cabinet Members is appointed Deputy Leader. The Cabinet Members assume responsibility for different key areas of local governance.
The Cabinet is responsible for running the Council services and ensuring best value is delivered, implementing policies and delivering services, approving new policies other than major policies, playing a leadership role within and generally promoting the economic, environmental and social well-being of the city.
The responsibility for decisions has transferred to the Council's Executive which consists of the Cabinet and individual Cabinet members. Decisions made by the Executive will be posted on this site within two days of them being made and are called Executive Decisions.
The leader publishes a rolling programme outlining the 'key decisions' likely to be taken over the next few months. This is called the Forward Plan.
The delegated functions for Cabinet and Cabinet Members can be seen in the Executive Functions section (part 3 section 3) of the Council’s constitution.
- Councillor Wayne Fitzgerald - Leader of the Council
- Councillor Steve Allen - Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Communication, Culture and Communities
- Councillor John Howard - Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care, Health and Public Health
- Councillor Marco Cereste - Cabinet Member for Climate Change, Planning, Housing and Transport
- Councillor Lynne Ayres - Cabinet Member for Childrens Services, Education, Skills and University
- Councillor Andy Coles - Cabinet Member for Finance and Corporate Governance
- Councillor Nigel Simons - Cabinet Member for Waste, Street Scene and the Environment
- Councillor Ishfaq Hussain - Cabinet Advisor to the Cabinet Member for Communication, Culture and Communities
- Councillor Gul Nawaz - Cabinet Advisor for Community Cohesion
- Councillor Jackie Allen - Cabinet Advisor to the Cabinet Member for Climate Change, Planning, Housing and Transport
- Councillor Ray Bisby - Cabinet Advisor to the Cabinet Member for Childrens Services, Education, Skills and the University