Between 23 June and 14 July 2023, we are running a consultation to seek views about whether to confirm the emergency Article 4 Direction removing the certain 'permitted development' rights for 1073 Lincoln Road, Peterborough. Visit the consultation page for further information or to respond.


Under current planning legislation householders have the right to make alterations to their property without planning permission, called Permitted Development. An Article 4 Direction removes this right, so that certain types of alterations will require planning permission. 

Use of Article 4 Directions in Peterborough

Between 1979-1982, the City Council made 52 Article 4 Directions under the Town and Country Planning legislation covering 595 properties. At that time many of the City's mid to late Victorian and Edwardian period buildings, particularly terraces were considered at risk from unsympathetic alterations which may affect their appearance and character.

Since then a number of reviews have been carried out of these Article 4 Directions which have resulted in many of the Directions being varied or cancelled.

We currently have 56 Article 4 Directions covering 334 residential properties.

View Article 4 Direction Reviews (opens Sharepoint folder)

View Article 4 Directions

All of our Article 4 Directions are available to view below.

What this means for you

If you live in a building or an affected area and wish to alter or change the use of your property you may need planning permission. The restrictions will differ from area to area, but may include restrictions on:

  • Extensions 
  • Outside alterations such as new windows or door
  • Re-roofing or alterations to chimneys, ridge tiles etc
  • Porches
  • Covering gardens in concrete or tarmac 
  • Taking down garden walls or fences to make car parking spaces
  • Putting up gates, fences or walls
  • Covering the walls by rendering or painting the brickwork

In some places Article 4 Directions have removed the rights to demolish, alter and extend.

If you live in a property covered by an Article 4 Direction and you are considering carrying out work you should contact us first to discuss these works.