Skip to main content

Participation and engagement

It is important that you are involved in all aspects of your care and planning for the future. You have a right to be involved and your Personal Adviser will seek your views and thoughts and what you want to happen.

The Participation Team aims to empower children and young people to use their views and experiences to make positive changes to Children's Services, for themselves and others.

We support a number of Participation Groups and opportunities, including:

  • The Children in Care Council
  • Care Leaver Forum
  • Children in Charge Youth Club
  • Young Inspectors
  • Young Recruiters
  • Young Trainers

Mentoring and befriending children and young people in care

Would you like to meet with a child or young person once a month as a volunteer? Go out for social visits, share hobbies and interests and try new activities and mentor them. As a care leaver (aged 21 or over) you will be able to share your experience and knowledge of being in care, but above all, have fun together! For more information please visit our Independent Visitor page.

Other information you may find useful

  • IMO is an online service that provides a voice for teenagers in care and for care leavers. It is somewhere they can share stories, experiences, and achievements, get and give advice. IMO also share opportunities for care leavers, like jobs and apprenticeships, and give away loads of free stuff.
  • Peterborough City Council works with a specialist advocacy agency called NYAS. You can contact them yourself either by phone – 0808 8081001 or you can email them at Independent advocates can help you express your views. This includes where you are unhappy about decisions on the care and support you receive. They can also inform you about your rights and help you to be heard in meetings.
  • If you are an unaccompanied young person seeking asylum, you can also access specialist agencies for support. One of these is called the Refugee Council. You can contact them by phone - 020 7346 1134 or email:

Your personal information and data

You have a right to see the information we keep about you. This includes the files and records written about you when you were in care and as a Care Leaver. Your Personal Adviser can support you with this.

Alternatively, you might want to sort this out yourself. This type of request is known as a ‘subject access request’ and there is no charge. 

Find out more about subject access requests.

You can also contact the Information Governance Team on 01733 452533 or email ( You will be asked to complete a form and provide proof of identification (ID). your information is normally made available within 40 working days.