If you are eligible, your child could receive 15 hours per week over 38 weeks of the year (term time) or 11 hours each week of the year free childcare at an Ofsted registered childminder, day nursery or pre-school.
To receive free childcare for two-year-olds, you must apply for your child’s free place. Once funding is in place, it remains in place until your child is age eligible for their three-year-old funding.
How to apply
Parent or carers of two-year-old children who receive one of the following benefits can apply online or download the application form:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment Support Allowance
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Tax Credits, and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
- Working tax credit 4 week run-on
- Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less before tax, not including benefit payments
You must supply supporting evidence if applying under the following criteria:
- Children who attract Disability Living Allowance (please provide a recent copy of the letter showing the benefit to support your application)
- Children who have left care through a special guardianship, adoption or child arrangement order
Please email the below supporting evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org when you have submitted your online application.
If you’re a non-UK citizen who cannot claim benefits
If your immigration status says you have ‘no recourse to public funds’ (NRPF), you may still get free childcare for your 2-year-old. You must live in England and your household income must be no more than:
- £26,500 for families outside of London with one child
- £30,600 for families outside of London with two or more children
You cannot have more than £16,000 in savings or investments. We will require a photo of your Biometric Residence Permit or your "share code" to check your immigration status online and evidence of income such as a payslip or P60 for you and your partner (if applicable). Please send supporting information by email to email@example.com
Other eligible groups of children
- Children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan
- Children looked after by the local authority
Referrals under this section must be made by a professional third party such as a social worker, health professional or practitioner. Parents cannot self-refer. Additional information may be requested. Please apply by downloading the application form and return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The table below shows when your child could be eligible subject to the above criteria.
Child born on or between
Becomes age eligible for a two-year-old place from:
1 January and 31 March
1 April following their second birthday
1 April and 31 August
1 September following their second birthday
1 September and 31 December
1 January following their second birthday
You can apply the term before your child becomes age eligible (e.g. if the child is age eligible from September, you can apply from April).
We would recommend parent/s complete the government's childcare calculator tool to find out what financial help could be available to them to support with childcare costs.
For more details about all government schemes, visit the Childcare Choices website.