Anti-social behaviour


We recognise that anti-social behaviour is a serious problem affecting the quality of life of individuals, families and communities.

There is not a universally accepted definition of anti-social behaviour so the Safer Peterborough partnership adopts that set out in the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, which states:

"A manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household."

Anti-social represents an accumulation of crimes or incidents, which may not be deemed serious, but together have a devastating effect upon individuals and communities.

Report anti-social behaviour

Peterborough City Council is one of a number of agencies within the Safer Peterborough partnership which are dedicated to tackling anti-social behaviour. If you would like to report anti-social behaviour you can do this by reading the following information and reporting to the appropriate agency.

If you would like to report harassment from your neighbours or targeted harassment, you can do so by contacting the Police on 101 or by reporting to the police online. If you or your neighbour are tenants of a Registered Social Landlord, you may want to also make them aware of the problem so that they can also investigate and try to assist you.

To report anti-social behaviour which is causing a persistent problem and is having a detrimental impact on you and other members of your community, please click the button below and select from the appropriate options to report this to us.

Please note: we do not provide a 24-hour emergency service. If you need emergency help you should call the police on 999 or for non-emergencies call them on 101.

When reporting anti-social behaviour to us, we will:

  • Listen to what you tell us
  • Take your complaint seriously and investigate it
  • Treat you fairly and with dignity
  • Contact you within 48 hours of receiving your complaint
  • Encourage self and community resolution wherever possible
  • Explain how we tackle anti-social behaviour and quality of life issues, and how we work with other agencies to try and resolve issues
  • Ensure you have a named point of contact
  • Ensure we meet your needs - this means we might need to ask you some sensitive questions to enable us to help
  • Keep you informed about your case and provide you with updates (by your preferred method and within timescales promised)
  • Treat information received and exchanged in confidence - this means unless you give us permission to do so we will not tell the alleged perpetrator who has reported the problem to us
  • Ensure when we need to share relevant information with partners this is done legally
  • Consider a range of measures to best resolve your complaint
  • Ensure you know how to complain if you are not happy with the service you receive

If you are unsatisfied with how agencies such as the Police, Council or a Registered Social Landlord has dealt with your complaints of anti-social behaviour, you may be eligible to request a review of your case under the Community Trigger.