To make sure we hold the correct details on our Electoral Register each year we undertake an Annual Canvass of all households in the Peterborough Area.
Registering to vote is quick and simple, it will mean you have the right to vote at elections and being registered could also improve your credit rating.
Whether you choose to use your vote or not is your own personal choice. If you don’t respond to the annual canvass request or provide false information on the form you may be liable to a fine of £1,000.
You need to be included on the registration form if you are:
- 16 years or over. We ask 16/17 year olds to register so that they’re eligible to vote as soon as they’re 18.
- British, Irish, European Union or qualifying Commonwealth citizen.
Annual Canvass 2018
During August 2018 every household in Peterborough will receive an annual canvass form asking them to register all eligible voters.
Please do not assume that because you were registered last year that your name will automatically be included in this year’s Electoral Register. Being on the Council Tax register does not automatically mean you’re on the register on electors.
It only takes a couple of minutes to confirm the details on the form. If all the information is still correct, you can reply through one of the following options:
- Confirm your details online using the household update service, you will need the security codes on the form
- Call the automated telephone number (quoting your security codes)
- Text the automated service (quoting your security codes)
- Post your signed form back in the pre-paid envelope
If the information that is shown on your form has changed, then you can do one of the following options:
- Change the details online using the household update service, you will need the security codes provided on your form
- Change the details by crossing through/or adding individuals to the form, sign and send back in the pre-paid envelope
An initial form was sent out from 1 August 2018. If no response is received by 17 August, a Canvasser will visit your property from 30 August 2018 to gain the information.
For all remaining non-responding properties, a final form will be sent out around 11 October 2018.