Voting by proxy is a convenient way of voting if you are unable to get to the polling station. By proxy means that you can appoint someone you trust to vote on your behalf either at the polling station or by post.
In order to vote by proxy you will need to fill in an application form which clearly states your signature and date of birth. The form must then be returned to the Electoral Services Department for processing. The main points to consider before applying for a proxy vote are:
- you must be on the electoral register in order to apply for a proxy vote
- when you apply for a proxy vote you will need to provide a reason as to why you require the vote
- you may have to get someone to support your application to confirm that your reason for applying to vote by proxy is valid
- the deadline for applying to vote by proxy is normally 6 working days before an election
- anyone can be your proxy as long as they are eligible to vote in that type of election and they are willing to vote on your behalf
- you cannot be a proxy for more than two people at any one election unless they are a close relative.
If you apply for a proxy vote it is important to remember the following:
- your proxy will be sent a proxy poll card telling them when and where to vote
- if your proxy cannot get to the polling station, they can apply to vote for you by post. They can apply to do this up to 11 days before the election day
- you must let your proxy know how you want them to vote on your behalf eg. for which candidate or for which party
- if you are able to get to the polling station on election day, you can still vote in person as long as your proxy has not already done so or has applied to vote by post for you.
If you would like to apply for a proxy vote or a proxy vote by post please complete the relevant form:
Please note all forms must be printed with "page scaling" set to "none". This can be found in the printer options. Peterborough City Council cannot accept proxy vote applications if they do not adhere to this criteria.
The Electoral Services Department
- Telephone: 01733 452249
- Email: email@example.com